Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Lilies, do they grew in your garden or road side? >
  • Lilies, do they grew in your garden or road side?

• Lilies, do they grew in your garden or road side?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:15 PM

Love lilies, I have all kinds. My favorite is the newer tree lily. I have these at our porch 17 stalks with over 200 blooms total, the smell is wonderful. Will try to post pictures. Not sure how, but will try.
    Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 AM
    mim

we always called the orange lilies Dump Lilies because the road to the dump was lined with them. Probably people cleaning out their garden and the dump was closed so they just tossed them out into the ditch.
    Old 07-13-2018, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

keep the pictures coming. beautiful!!!
    when I moved in the condo. I always wanted tigerlillies. my favorite.
    I sent my son into the woods to dig me up some. Now I have them under my bedroom window.
    Old 07-13-2018, 03:10 PM

I took my son to help dig up some of the yellow Lemon Lilies. They were at the edge of an old farmstead near a roadway. There was an old fence, so he climbed the fence, dug the lilies and passed them to me over the fence. For some reason, I was not affected but my son had poison ivy all over his arms, hands and neck. I had to take him to the Urgent Care for a shot because his neck and face were swelling up.
    I felt so badly. I must be not reactive to poison ivy. The farmhouse and buildings were already gone, and the fence was falling down. I have also taken starts of old style roses from old home and farm sites.
    Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 AM

Wildyard, your lilies are beautiful! Wish I had a bed like that of lilies; it was great that you shared with a photograph. We can all but smell them. Someday, I hope to have more; dh keeps wanting to move them or call them weeds, and they tend to 'disappear'. But he now helps me plant them. . . nine left from 22 we planted this year. I am still going to try for a big bed of them, 'cause I love them. Hope someone plants them on my grave in fifty years or so.
    Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    Wildyard, your lilies are beautiful! Wish I had a bed like that of lilies; it was great that you shared with a photograph. We can all but smell them. Someday, I hope to have more; dh keeps wanting to move them or call them weeds, and they tend to 'disappear'. But he now helps me plant them. . . nine left from 22 we planted this year. I am still going to try for a big bed of them, 'cause I love them. Hope someone plants them on my grave in fifty years or so.
    I don't have a specific bed of lilies, I plant them all around my yard, mixed in with everything else. I do wish the blooms lasted longer, but taking off the dead flowers so they don't set seed does help.
    I can't imagine why you only have 9 left from 22. They have almost no enemies and once established do in fact... grow like weeds.
    Oh yes, btw, lol, put it in your will that you want daylily by your grave! Since your husband doesn't like them that much, it may be the only way you will get them!
    Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 PM
    mac

I'm noticing a pattern here. Most of these lilies seem to be in the southern and east coast states. Here in California, I just don't see lilies like that. I do grow lots of Fort Night Lilies here. Once you put them in, they just seem to keep growing without any help from me.
    Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM
    Power Poster

I have some yellow Stella d'Oro ones in my front yard and side areas. Plus a few pink ones by the front door.
    Stargazer lilies in the back yard by my sewing area. Hoping to add some Casablanca ones soon~
    Old 07-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Here is an excellent, brief horticultural discussion on this point: http://www.hortmag.com/weekly-tips/qa/native-daylilies
    Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 AM
    Power Poster

I have several that I grow but my sister just found one I've never heard of called Rose Lily. Does anyone know about them? They are stunning and the blooms last a long time.