Links in e-mails

Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by VickyS View Post
No, you don't have to, since this is a response driven virus, not something that is being actively tracked. If it was a virus being actively tracked, you would see a spike in various spam emails.

In my experience, once you clean it up, you don't have future problems unless you open something from a friend again with the type of stuff like I described above who reinfects your machine. When that happens, you just have to go through the cleanup process again. This is what happened to my friend that took 3 months to clean up.

We all now know what to look for so we just trash them when they come in and immediately email the friend back to let them know they have had their email spammed so they can debug their machine and not spread the problem further.

Hope this helps! My family has been in IT for most of our lives and this is a relatively minor problem, mostly just a nuisance.
Hi VickyS,

I Don't mean to sound "dumb" but I certainly can be when it comes to computers.
Anyway you talk about "cleaning up" and "debugging"...........how is this done?

Thank You for your help, Roseanna (Jazzmyn)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for the info........we all need to be careful these days.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 AM

I am in the process of "cleaning up" an older computer that I have upstairs in my sewing room. I occasionally check emails (when working up there all day) or look up some youtube video, hunt for instructions or chat with my brother while he is working (works from home) and somehow this machine was horribly infected. Two trojan viruses, tons of adware and malware. There are 4 or 5 programs that I use to clean up a computer and it takes sometimes several days to run them over and over and I do so until ALL the programs come up "clean" (finding nothing to report). This is a real problem nowdays and I second the motion not to click on links from people you don't know... however, it also can be from someone you do know.... as they may have had their email address "hacked" and every contact in their address book will receive the malware/virus. Be safe out there, we are in a time when you can't be too careful.