Little Dresses for Africa

Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I believe you were talking about me and my not wanting to quilt but looking for projects. This is a perfect thing for me to get involved in and I thank you so much for posting it. I would love to do something for the poor children in our country as well and will look for those projects. I'm sure there are many little girls here who would love a new dress.
Nancy's Creative Kindness has numerous projects for charities. There is also a great book called "Craft Hope" by Jade Sims that is full of projects for different charities and organizations all over the world. The book defines that charity, gives directions for the craft project, and address to send the project to as well as other charities that need similar projects. Enough to keep you busy for a long time!!!! Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM

I make these dresses with ladies from my sisters' church- Trinity Lutheran in West Sand Lake, NY. They are quick and very easy, even for non-sewers. We even have a young boy and girls sewing. I make pillowcases from stash so we have even prettier- and more opaque- dresses than from the usual pillowcases. I also haunt the town's very supportive thrift shop for nice sheets and curtains and lace from table cloths. We put pockets on all the dresses, and it's nice to tuck in some extra hair ribbons or clips. Nothing too heavy or bulky because of mailing costs. We make the top casing of the dress a bit wider and use 1/2" elastic for a nicer look. For boys shorts we use a purchased pattern with an elastic waistband. I don't like the knit shorts pattern for making shorts from T shirts some sites have posted. Have Fun!