living in Australia?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Hello Pinot,
I was born and grew up in Melbourne. I married and moved to a little town called Wynyard on the NW coast of Tasmania some 39 years ago. there is a very strong dutch community in Tasmania and especially in the NW. Wynyard is famous for its Tulip festival each year and now exports bulbs and flowers all over the world even Holland. The town has about 6000 people now, which is 3 times plus more than when i moved here. Our nearest LQS is at Ulverstone 50 mins drive from us. We do have a Spotlight store in burnie 15 mins away which has now expanded its quilting material range and selling about 10 to 12 AU dollars a metre. LQS fabrics sell from 25 dollars plus a metre. We live on the coast a couple of minutes walk to the end of the street go left for shopping centre and right for parks mouth of river and beaches. I could rave all night but instead shall put up some photos and a link.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/dest..._coast/wynyard

I took this from the path to the lookout. Table Cape in background main Tulip farms are up on top, Freestone Cove in foreground
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134349[/ATTACH]

This is a postcard photo.Table Cape taken from the air looking East
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134635[/ATTACH]

I took this photo just west of town at Flowerdale
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134771[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-134344.jpe   attachment-134630.jpe   attachment-134766.jpe  
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Thank you for the photos Sandy-Lou. I have alway wanted to go to Tasmania and your pictures are just gorgeous!
One day I hope, sooner rather than later I hope.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Thank you for the photos Sandy-Lou. I have alway wanted to go to Tasmania and your pictures are just gorgeous!
One day I hope, sooner rather than later I hope.
Hi Woody,
Have been to Canberra loved it. Too cold in winter lol. may go via Canberra later in year when I drive up to Qland to see my son and family
sandy
Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Your photo's are lovely Sandy Lou, thank you.

I've never been to Tassy either.........but one day we will, hopefully! I know it's cold down there, so just when does the cold weather start and finish?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Thank you pinot, loved hearing your story.

Would love to see your part of the world.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Not too cold on the coast here I have no central heating and only wear coat in depth of winter, it gets colder in other parts of Tas. The NW coast is quite mild mostly much same sort of weather as Vic but not as hot here. Can get to 40% hobart way. Inland gets very cold. Wynyard sometimes gets to 2 and 0% Celcius overnight in winter but not for long and not every year. I have only seen it snow to the water and it lay most of the day twice here in the near forty years I have lived here. Funny seeing snow on the beach really weird.
May June is usually frosty July Aug rainy, sept oct windy roaring forties, Nov Dec can be anything, Jan feb good and march april beautiful settled weather. AS A RULE but it is a la ninia so anything could happen.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Crlyn
Thank you pinot, loved hearing your story.

Would love to see your part of the world.
Will be in Brisvegas in a couple of weeks visiting my son am flying up from Melb this time taking my cat with me. Will be my first visit to Qland.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 AM

Thank you so much Sandy Lou for your pics! You know: where there are dutch people living, you'll find tulips! I brought some tulips to the club one day and people started to touch them to feel if they were made out of plastic! They were parrot tulips, black and red....beautifull. How I wish I could visit Tasmania! Maybe you could show me around and tell me all about it. I could talk a lot of dutch there I think! Thanks again, Pinot
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 AM

Hi Pinot,
I live in Ipswich,Queensland,which is the State's oldest provincial city,with a population of 155,000.We are 40 minutes from Brisbane,our Capital,and about 1 1/2 hours from the Gold Coast,and the Sunsine Coast.Both of these are popular holiday destinations.
We have hot summers,and cold winters,but never any snow.
Recently we had terrible floods,and lots of people lost everything.Luckily we live high on a hill.Our home is over 100 years old. I have been to every State,except the Northern Territory,but hope to go there soon. keep stitchin'
Marion
Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 AM

Thank you all that are living in places other than the states for posting about where you live and the pics...I had a penpal in junior high school that was from Adelaide Australia..We had a great tme writing to each other and then of course life goes on and you lose track of each other...The picures were lovely that you posted..I work as a nurse in homecare and its a bit isolating..Very nice to hear about how other people live..take care now..Dori