Looking to adopt a dog

Old 05-27-2009, 09:36 AM

I wish you were closer.... I have two two year old minature schnauserz, Mollie Jo and her Littermate Schatzie Leyna.....I married last August and the stepson had a dog, and I inhereited my granddaughter who had a dog....now we have FOUR of those critters.... I drive one hour each way to work each day, so there is no time to spend with my babies an they have been put out in the yard.....I would love to find them a home where they would be loved and get the attention they deserve!...Just too many dogs and children at my age!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM

The obvious choice for you would be a Newfie. :lol: I love large dogs myself and have had as many at 6 Borzoi at one time in the past. I"m now down to just two.

Humane Society dogs are wonderful but some come with their own set of issues so tread carefully. I prefer couch potato dogs myself and thus have had Greyhounds and Borzoi. You might consider adopting a retired racing Greyhound. Most people think they have boundless energy but are actually the above mentioned couch potato and enjoy a nice walk and are so very grateful to leave the life they have known and their temperments are wonderful.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 PM

I think everyone should have a dog.. We are huge dog and cat lovers. When we got our first scotty Monty he was a "mall dog" from a pet store in the mall. he was so sad and pathetic looking but we got him. We fell in love with scotties. Our second Abbie we got from a reputable breeder and then last year in April we rescued JuJu our 3rd scottie from a woman who had terminal cancer and wanted a great home for her girl. We also volunteer every saturday at a no kill cat shelter and this is why we have 2 cats. I would love to take in more animals but DH says the animals now out number the people...lol
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Roberta.. My in-laws rescued 2 greyhounds and they absolutely love them.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Great news! I hope you have many happy years together!

Lori
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
The obvious choice for you would be a Newfie. :lol: I love large dogs myself and have had as many at 6 Borzoi at one time in the past. I"m now down to just two.

Humane Society dogs are wonderful but some come with their own set of issues so tread carefully. I prefer couch potato dogs myself and thus have had Greyhounds and Borzoi. You might consider adopting a retired racing Greyhound. Most people think they have boundless energy but are actually the above mentioned couch potato and enjoy a nice walk and are so very grateful to leave the life they have known and their temperments are wonderful.
Greyhounds are wonderful dogs. The retired racing dogs have less issues.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

What a sweet face! Be sure to take as many pictures as you can. We had our Rottweiler 9 1/2 years and I took 370 pictures of him. I still feel like it was not enough.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM

What a sweet face! She sure looks like she has the hang of that nappin!

Enjoy her all to pieces. she looks like she will enjoy every bit of lovin' she can get! Lucky you all! :lol:
Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM

You are doing the right thing asking questions and getting tips before getting your dog. Take your time and go to the local SPCA to talk to the workers and view the dogs more than once. You will find the right one. We rescued a Jack Russell five years ago. We were told by the owner's mother he was a 2 year old. Turns out he was 5. And although he has some issues that we were not made aware of we are all still working on them and I wouldn't trade him now. He is very aggressive with other animals when he is onleash, but off leash will play. We do have to watch that he doesn't get out of the yard alone. He is a hunter and doesn't realize he is only 30 pounds. Oliver will take on anything that moves when he goes into hunting mode. Moose, deer, bears, squirrels, birds. He will run till he realizes he has lost the animal and then won't be able to find his way home. We almost lost him when we first got him and have made sure he never got the opportunity again.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-23976.jpe  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:22 AM

We have 4 labs and each have a different personality ...each lovable.They are very obedient and desire ONLY to gain your approval.I vote for a lab,so do Boston, Teabearry, Jetta and BabyBear