Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
looking for a cleaning lady where would you look >

looking for a cleaning lady where would you look

looking for a cleaning lady where would you look

Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM

Make an offer to your current clients that if they refer you to someone that hires you on a permanant basis of a free week cleaning.

Craig's list..be VERY careful of who you respond to, and NEVER make the initial home visit alone!! Check your local newspapers for free online classifieds, and also check with the local radio stations to see what they'd charge you to run just a few ads. More expensive than the newspaper, but also more effective. A lot of folks don't bother with the papers anymore, but nearly everyone has a radio on while they're driving.

Does your local newspaper have a household cleaning tips column? (Think Heloise) If not, offer to do one for them for free...have some sample columns to take with you to talk to them. Anything that gets your name out there!! The more people that know about you, the more likely you are to be sucessful.

Good luck!! :)
Old 12-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Going door to door with flyers is not a bad idea...as well as papering them everywhere you can think of. Most that I see do not give any prices...leaving most people thinking it would be too expensive.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM

The Senior Center was my first thought, too. With the economy the way it is, luxuries like housecleaners are out of the question for most people.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:27 PM

Is there a pay laundry near you, they usually have younger single income moms doing laundry and they could probably be looking for income, especially true if in a Military community and there is almost always a bulletin board
Old 12-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

word of mouth.

most people aren't home in my area when the cleaning people come in so referrals and bonded are the most important things.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Word of mouth for me too.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Our local senior center has lists of cleaning ladies and care givers they refer to people who need help. I'm not sure exactly how you get on that list, but a phone call might be a good starting place.

You might consider offering your services in some type of a raffle. A church or school fund raiser looking for a raffle item would get your name and phone number printed on lots of raffle tickets that go all over town.

I also think the suggestion of offering some kind of a discount to anyone who gets you a new client is a great idea.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Usually your beautician has clients who need housekeepers. She can give them your phone #. Also if you know anyone who cleans carpet, sometimes they know people looking for housekeepers.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

many, many years ago, I was a cleaning lady. Word of mouth is the only way we got new clients. Oh, I forgot to say, that a friend and I had a business together.
She was the one that got all the new customers, bc she belonged to a good sized church and new a lot of ppl.
It's good to have a partner. :-D
Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 AM

I can't think of any ideas that haven't been mentioned; I just want to say "Good Luck" and I hope you pick up some more clients.