Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for help from my international friends >

Looking for help from my international friends

Looking for help from my international friends

Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Here is one from Ireland- it relates to St Stephen's Day (26 December) but is clearly pre-Christian in origin. The wren is the smallest bird in Ireland. Fortunately they don't actually kill one, although even pretending too is fairly bizarre! The main point is dressing up and going from house to house performing music and dance in return for donations for a wake for the bird! "A penny to bury the wren"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day. It's not common anymore, but the tradition continues in some parts of the country.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM

Seafood, ham, pork, chicken & turkey. All sorts of salads. Plenty of cold,cold beer, chilled wines, soft drinks. Lots of people still have traditional plum pudding with ice cream, custard or brandy custard. As this is when we have all our stone fruit, our family and I'm sure others as well have a large fruit platter. We have Bon Bons , sweets, dips with crackers and watermelon.
Growing up in the 50s & 60's when my grandparents were alive we had the traditional roast dinner followed by plum pudding. It's usually way too hot to eat such a heavy meal during the day. As my eldest daughter & her DH now host Christmas (they have the largest house) we have cut back a lot on the extras. We have a couple of bags of mixed lollies, maybe a bag of chips or 2 but just put out small dishes of these in the morning. We drink plenty of water and eat quite a bit of fruit. We don't feel over stuffed when lunch is finished.
As they live on the Sunshine Coast we usually go to the beach in the late afternoon and play beach cricket. This was one tradition they wanted to set for their children. There are at least 7 adults & 2 children but some years 9 adults & 3 children. Friends will call in for a drink and a few nibbles but more to catch up.
The evening meal will be from lunchtime leftovers and everyone just helps themselves. Luckily DD & DSIL have a 9 foot island bench in their kitchen so food is set out smorgasbord style. DSIL has music playing most of the day. First up are all the Christmas Carols. Later just relaxing background music. We all enjoy the day.
Peonyblue I enjoyed that Aussie rendition of 12 days of Christmas.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 PM

Christmas pudding making was popular with my class.we always did it after stirrup Sunday and we ate the pudding at the Christmas party
I also did a talk about the nun with 4 legs same as the advent wreath only the children enjoyed chopping the legs off each week.cant remember history must have been boring the chopping was best.
Ginger bread stars for a Christmas tree,

Yule log ..collecting and decorating.
Hunting for a Christmas tree.

Sorry forgot rest will come back if remember.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM

I have another Irish Christmas tradition. I used to think all Christians did this, but I have travelled a bit now and I have not seen it done anywhere else.

On the evening of Christmas Eve, a candle would be lit in a front window of every house to signify that poor travelers/Mary and Joseph would be made welcome. Lots of my friends have memories of seeing all the candles lighting across their neighborhood. But electric light, fear of fire, and secularism mean you would find it hard to see ia whole village lit like that now.

I always used to wonder what would happen if a poor traveller actually turned up in the midst of all our Christmas fuss these days. Could be an interesting question to ask the children!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Some traditions from this Canadian family.

Yule Log a chocolate rolled cake filled with whipped cream. Trifle a dessert made with custard, cake, fruit whipped cream etc.
Tourtiere a French Canadian Pork based meat pie, often served on Christmas Eve
Mincemeat pies, an English tradition, we have mincemeat tarts, no meat in the tarts but traditional recipes have suet.
Oranges in Christmas Stockings is a tradition for our family too.
Caroling, not done as often going to strangers houses, but often cities hire paid performers to sing Carols.

Ukrainian Canadians usually celebrate Christmas on January 6th.