Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
looking into new pinking shears >

looking into new pinking shears

looking into new pinking shears

Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
I ended up with blisters too on a pinking-heavy project. So, this is what I bought....it really helped a lot.
(I also have 2 different specialty pinking blades, but like the scissors better):

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Actio...1334453&sr=8-1

I use the spring action Fiskars scissors for everything and love them. Didn't realize they had pinking shears, too. I would suggest considering this, as the cutting action requires use of your stronger gripping muscles, rather than forcing your weak extensor muscles against the scissors.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
.........Now I have some ideas and brands to look into.

QuiltE, guess I best at least give it a try to go around the pattern with the rotary cutter. Seeing I already have blades to try, turning would be easy on my small turntable mat.

Thank you for your input and will try the rotary cutter tomorrow, when I go up to do the final sewing and attach the snaps.
The turntable mat would be a great option.
Another possibility ... you could get a plexi template made of your bib pattern.
Then could just zip around it, without needing to draw the pattern onto the fabric.
I've had a few templates made at a local glass shop. Very low cost!

Look forward to hearing/seeing how it goes for you. Good Luck!
Old 10-18-2019, 03:48 AM

I have a pair of pinking shears but haven't used them in years. They're still in their original case even. Found specialty blades at Nancy's Notions and ordered them. Their pinking shears ones as well as the one to cut evenly holes in fleece when you want to tie them together using yarn. I use the pinking blade whenever I'm cutting into dress fabrics and fabrics that seem to fray alot. Love these blades. Yes, they're expensive but if you're not using them constantly its my go to blade when I need it.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 AM

I have my Gingher's and my mother's Gingher's and both are hard to operate. An inexpensive (comparatively) pair of Fisker's works wonderfully well. (orange handle)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM

I have the spring action Fiskers that I go for things like grading straight seams (they replaced my mom's Ginghers that she had for ages) because they are easy on my hands for some projects that I can't use a rotary blade for. However, for projects that are not bulky or have a lot of curves and angles I use the Karen Kay Buckley scissors because they are like a micro pinking sheer and they are easy to use on non-straight places.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:16 PM

Tried the rotary blade today and am not happy with how much pressure it requires to make a cut in one pass. Can not stand long enough to make it work for me.

Am checking Amazon for those mentioned above and will read reviews to make the right decision. I have not used my Ginghers in years because of the pain it causes, really want a pair to use.

Thank you for all the input of your favorite ones. Hope to join the group with an easy to use pair.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 PM

I didn't care for the pinking rotary blade. I also had a Ginghers that was hard to use. I took it along with another scissors to be sharpened & asked them to check the Ginghers. I wasn't crazy, it had been tightened to much when put together. It's a dream to use now. I may check out the Fiskers also. They are also a high quality company.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 AM

If you can find them, Wiss makes a really good pinking shear that sharpens well. I inherited my mother's, so they are over 35 years old and work great. They are heavy though.