Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
looking for a movie title about a teen that was beaten >

looking for a movie title about a teen that was beaten

looking for a movie title about a teen that was beaten

Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 AM

for because rumors were started that he was gay or something like that. My sons so called friends were joking around and one of them went up to a very feminine boy at school and told him my son wants to ask him out. The kids got in trouble for this but this is the second time my son has had problems from one of these kids. The last incident, a female friend got ahold of my sons phone and sent a text message to a male friend that said "I'm gay and I love you". My son explained to this boy that Emily was the one who sent the message" and the boy believed him. I talked to Emily's mother after that incident and she talked to Em about the severity of her actions and the harm it can cause but obviously she is not taking it seriously and I thought that watching a movie about the subject might make more of an impact.

The movie I am thinking of was about a gay teen who was beaten and maybe killed by bullies because he was gay or thought to be gay.

I do not think my son is gay, however if he turns out to be I will love him just the same.

thanks for you help
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 AM

If this happened at school, please alert the school officials. Current laws do not allow them to ignore bullying. This is serious. I don't recall the movie, but there are so many resources available, I'm sure you can find help. One of my children is gay, but I forget which one.....I love them all the same.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 AM

some how it got back to the school counsler and they were hauled down, my son was told by Ms Roz that he is equally a part of the problem because he didn't report it. I dont agree with that but officials are aware of it. The texting did not happen at school. My fear is that this will stick with my kid and he could be bullied further in the future. Since this is the second incident with this Emily I dont think she fully understands what can happen from her actions. I am thinking about talking to her myself and explain to her that once she ways something to someone she no longer has control of what or where her words go and she cant stop it after it leaves her mouth. If she sees a movie about what can and has happened to others she may get a clearer understanding of the harm she could be causing my son. They have been friends since they were 5 yrs old (now 13). I know her mother very well and I am sure she will agree with me. As of right now Emily has lost her cell phone for 1 month and has to write a two page esay on teen suicide, and if there is no feeling in her esay she will miss out on there beach party on Wednesday.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 AM
MTS
Banned

Are you thinking of the movie about Matthew Shepard?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267736/

Also Boys Don't Cry:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171804/
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Are you thinking of the movie about Matthew Shepard?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267736/

Also Boys Don't Cry:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171804/
I think its the Matthew shepard one, thank you so much. Now have to get it from netflix
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 AM

With 13 yr olds, do they really understand what gay means? I know that kids mature more quickly now, but still at 13 aren't girls still kind of gross to boys?

Are there any movies about bullying in general?
I'd be concerned that if you showed the movie, then others would zoom into the gay part and it might stick with him still.

I don't have any problems with a person's orientation but which ever way a person is and it should not be something to be teased about.

Kid's are just so cruel and they don't even realize the damage they do to each other.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
With 13 yr olds, do they really understand what gay means? I know that kids mature more quickly now, but still at 13 aren't girls still kind of gross to boys?

Are there any movies about bullying in general?
I'd be concerned that if you showed the movie, then others would zoom into the gay part and it might stick with him still.

I don't have any problems with a person's orientation but which ever way a person is and it should not be something to be teased about.

Kid's are just so cruel and they don't even realize the damage they do to each other.
you have a point, I dont think these friends think my sons gay, its just the way teenagers tease eachother. Stupid I know, and I think they do know what gay is. The 13yr old girls are into boys but the boys dont want to get involved with the girls quite yet. They are gross still.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Kids are having sex in middle school. My grandaughter's classmate was expecting in eighth grade. I deliver Project Linus blankets to several facilities providing care to teen mothers. I agree that maybe they still think boys are gross, but they are bombarded with images of sex on TV (Teen Mom), and Facebook, as well as MTV and so much other media. I was dumbfounded when I became aware of all of this. I was in high school in the 60s, and the most daring thing we did was try to burn our bras. All we can do is offer daily guidance, love, support and education, and pray to God to help our kids make the right decisions.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Kids are having sex in middle school. My grandaughter's classmate was expecting in eighth grade. I deliver Project Linus blankets to several facilities providing care to teen mothers. I agree that maybe they still think boys are gross, but they are bombarded with images of sex on TV (Teen Mom),
Oh, I was thinking boys were still at the age where girls are gross, Girls mature way too fast now a days. I was thinking younger girls were getting with older boys. But you are entirely correct there is so much sex all around our kids as they grow up. They can't help but be affected by it.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kathios
Kids are having sex in middle school. My grandaughter's classmate was expecting in eighth grade. I deliver Project Linus blankets to several facilities providing care to teen mothers. I agree that maybe they still think boys are gross, but they are bombarded with images of sex on TV (Teen Mom), and Facebook, as well as MTV and so much other media. I was dumbfounded when I became aware of all of this. I was in high school in the 60s, and the most daring thing we did was try to burn our bras. All we can do is offer daily guidance, love, support and education, and pray to God to help our kids make the right decisions.
its unbelievable to think 13 and 14 yr olds are having sex, they dont even know what love is and that is what its about. So sad.