Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Love my wonderful old geezer husband... >

Love my wonderful old geezer husband...

Love my wonderful old geezer husband...

Old 10-20-2011, 03:43 AM

I agree with you. It takes some hard times to show what you have.DH had major surgery in Sept & it just made us more appreciative of each other & the life we have.I wish we could have another 57 yrs together.He's my love.

Originally Posted by ptquilts
It does get better as you get older. I never knew how much I loved my DH until a very serious illness (stroke). Since then we have been so much closer, spend more time just talking, spend some time cuddling every morning.

It was November when he was in the hospital and the TV was showing the usual round of pre-Christmas diamond ads. You know, with the young starry-eyed couple, he gives her a diamond and she tells him she loves him. It struck me as such a farce, you don't really know what love is until you have gone through a lot together, good times and bad.

There was another patient in the hospital ward, a retired doctor who was much worse off than my DH. His wife was by his side constantly, they lived nearby but she only went home to shower, she stayed by his side all night. Whenever I saw them together, I thought, This is what love is.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 AM

Oh, I so agree with this. I know my hubby and I just grow closer every year. Neither one of us can imagine life without the other. It does take years to truly understand and appreciate each other. I'm so blessed.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 AM

You are blessed and living the dream many never do.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 AM
mim

We just celebrated our first anniversary. I am more in love every day. And yes, we do know that we will never see our 20th but life is so wonderful together. Our pasts have made us appreciate each other more.

Mim
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274239.jpe  
Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 AM

Marriage is hard work and most people don't want to do the work to make it last. I'm not talking about the ones who cheat or abuse, I'm just talking about the day to day stuff that drives us crazy at times. I had a bad marriage and now I have a good one. It makes you appreciate the good all the more. I hope you all have many more years with your mates.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 AM

Sweet! Makes me look forward to getting old with my geezer... :lol:
Old 10-20-2011, 06:31 AM

Not only do I love my hubby more each day, more importantly, I LIKE him too.

We've been married now 8 years and may not reach the 25 this time around but I tell you, it's hard to ever remember a time without him.

He makes my heart smile
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by BrendaY
We've grown old together and it's just better every day.. When we were young our love was more physical, but now it's far more romantic.. We have both mellowed and become more tender to each other, and really treasure the time we have together..

Just wanted to tell somebody... Love grows as long as we live...
Oh, how I envy you - that's exactly what I thought I had with my DH - for 36 years. It turned out that I had been wearing rose coloured glasses for a lot of that, when he left me for a 'friend' half my age, and I subsequently found out that he had cheated on me on and off for a good many of those years.

I still miss what I thought I had, and I've been on my own for 11 years now. Sigh.

Still, I have now made a different life for myself that I otherwise wouldn't have had, so all is not lost, it was just a painful transition.
Sounds like my story...took a long time for the rose colored glasses to come off. But I wouldn't have my 2 wonderful grown sons if we had never been together so I concentrate on that!
And I've taught myself not to get upset when I see him and his "younger" wife now!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Believe me, I know what a treasure I have! We were both married before... for each of us, those were the loneliest years of our lives... Now we have almost 40 years of love and acceptance..

We went through hell before we met...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Country1
Love to hear people stay in love. That's what I pray for in my marriage. We aren't spring chickens and it may have taken us along time to find each other, but I hope it lasts until the good Lord calls us home. I can't imagine a day on earth without him.
Congrats and thanks for the post, it is up lifting!
No, you're not spring chickens, your Ann and Andy! :thumbup: