Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mac Users, help me out here, I need a new computer >

Mac Users, help me out here, I need a new computer

Mac Users, help me out here, I need a new computer

Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 AM

Default Mac Users, help me out here, I need a new computer

I have a Dell that I bought in Jan. 2014 and it bit the dust. Very upset about that and the other one is only about 4 years old and it's weird. So I am thinking maybe it's time for me to buy a MAC. I check my email, surf the web and store pictures. No movies or heavy downloads. So what do you have and what do you recommend. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM

About 3 years ago my Dell died, and the new Windows looked totally different, so I figured if I was going to have to learn a whole new operating system that was the time to switch to a Mac. I bought the MacBook Pro laptop, and Love it! Since then I have also bought an iPad and switched to Apple phone, so am a total convert. I will say the learning curve wasn't as easy/intuitive as many say, but there is lots of help out there, and the young geeks at the Apple Store were great. They also have several free small group classes to help get you started. My adult kids had been on Macs for awhile and they got a kick out of my learning curve but we're helpful in the long run! Getting mail And surfing the web is a snap, and the iPhotos program is great. Go for a Mac---this is the right time!!!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:46 PM

I agree Apple is the only way to go. No paying for upgrades or virus protection. Most apps are free. It's a win win situation. We love our Mac Books, iPads and iPhones. And, Jeanne is right the apple personnel are more than happy to help, fix or explain anything to you.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 PM

We already had Iphones and Hubby was unhappy with the direction Windows was taking, so he did some switching. We had bought Ipads for DD and DGS and they were thrilled. Believe me...if there is any use for Ipad or MacBook Air, my DD has tried it! So Hubby has bought an Ipad Air for his service manuals(for combines and tractors), bought me a MacBook Air, then had to get one for himself. We still have our Windows PC and laptops, but use them less and less!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:25 AM

Once you go Mac, you never go back! I like a desk top, so I have an iMac.
And if you have any pc only programs that you absolutely need, there's always a program called parallels that will let you run them on your Mac.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I have had an Iphone for about 5 years now and will never ever use anything else. I know that Mac products don't play well with other companies, and I wondered how I could transfer my photos etc off the Dell onto Mac if I get their laptop. I figure the people at Apple can help me with that. I know that I can get a discount at the university my DIL works at so I just need to figure out which laptop I want. My husband has an older Ipad and I bought him the Ipad Air for Christmas which he loves. They are not my thing at all, I just can't surf on them like my lap. So thanks everyone.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 AM

I'm 86 and I have a Mac-book Pro. I've run my grandson nuts teaching me what to do. But after a little while I learned. I just go until I run the battery down,ha. I love it. It's a lap-top. About 12
x 14 inches. I take it everywhere if we go on a trip. I'm never without it.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 AM

I've had a Mac Book Pro for about 8 years now. I'm on my second one as of last December. I hope never to go back to Windows. One tip: a friend of mine bought the 3 year warranty and telephone assist (I didn't) she said it is fabulous and she is so glad she got it. They help with any questions/problems you might have. I live near an Apple store so didn't do that but wish I had as it would be easier than physically going to the store.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM

I have an iMac, an iPad, and an iPhone, (and two iPod shuffles, gotta have my 'tunes) and love the fact that they all update each other anytime my wifi is on. I don't have to do anything. If I buy an app for the tablet, it is automatically downloaded to the iPhone too. If I don't want it on both, I just delete it from the other. I have over 2500 songs on my iMac, that when I synced it with the tablet and phone, were added to the phone and tablet both. That alone was worth my money. Can you imagine having to transfer all that music one at a time? Me neither. My iMac is a 2006 , that has been updated to a 2009 for $30!) tablet is a 2009, and iPhone is a 2014, and they all play well together. Can't do that with "Mircosoft"....
if you go to the apple shopping site, and scroll all the way down, you will find reconditioned machines, that make trying an Apple product much less expensive. They are reconditioned by the same peole who make them, so you get a new computer, in an older case. If you are like me, and don't mind the older covering, you can save quite a bit of money. Good luck, and welcome to the club! There is also a yahoo group for apple product owners who are all as helpful as the folks here. A great resource for getting started.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I've had a Mac Book Pro for about 8 years now. I'm on my second one as of last December. I hope never to go back to Windows. One tip: a friend of mine bought the 3 year warranty and telephone assist (I didn't) she said it is fabulous and she is so glad she got it. They help with any questions/problems you might have. I live near an Apple store so didn't do that but wish I had as it would be easier than physically going to the store.
I made the choice not to buy the extended service package, because most of the time, I can get free help at my local mac store. Much cheaper than the other way.