Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Machine for hardwood floors?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Learner747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    623
    Blog Entries
    4
    This year we had prefinished hardwood floors installed. I am searching for a machine to clean and sanitize them.
    I tried the Shark but it left the sample area dull. What do you ladies use on your floors and how do you like it?

  2. #2
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have a Bissell steam cleaner and it seems to do well enough. I just use plain water. And if it's not shiney enough, I invite the grandkids over to play in their socks :lol:

  3. #3
    Super Member patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    2,011
    Blog Entries
    9
    I bought a mint, its a robotic cleaner that you put a swifter sheet on and it cleans up all the dog hair (3 little dogs) and leaves the floor shiny, and while it works I can sew

  4. #4
    Senior Member gypsyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    481
    murphy's oil soap and a good old fashion mop.

  5. #5
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use white vinegar and water ring the mop well you only want to dampen the floor. Then I go over it with an old towel using my feet. Works great for me. :wink:

  6. #6
    Junior Member AZTeri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    233
    We have Pergo upstairs, and I use the Swiffer Wet Jet. I recently started using the Orange Glo mop instead, because it has a washable pad. I like the Orange Glo, because it cleans well and doesn't streak.

  7. #7
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I have a Bissell steam cleaner and it seems to do well enough. I just use plain water. And if it's not shiney enough, I invite the grandkids over to play in their socks :lol:
    Clever! :thumbup:

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    996
    I use soap and water.

  9. #9
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
    murphy's oil soap and a good old fashion mop.
    I use that too! When I don't feel like pulling out the machine I use Murphy's and my spin mop. I used Murphy's for years!

  10. #10
    Super Member dmyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    central, ca
    Posts
    1,191
    we have finished hardwood floors and use bonax after vacuuming floor.

  11. #11
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rev.../dp/B003UA7F46

    Rubbermaid floor cleaner (similar to swiffer but much better)
    This thing is incredible and you mix together your own fluid in it. We used murphy's oil and water at my SIL's house as she has hardwood floor. The cloth gets tossed in the washing machine and is reuseable. It sprays soooo much better that the swiffer wetjet and in the end is cheaper b/c no sheets or fluid to replace!!

  12. #12
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use the Shark. I was surprised to see you felt it left your floor dull. Mine is shiny. I wonder what the difference could be?

  13. #13
    Super Member rushdoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rev.../dp/B003UA7F46

    Rubbermaid floor cleaner (similar to swiffer but much better)
    This thing is incredible and you mix together your own fluid in it. We used murphy's oil and water at my SIL's house as she has hardwood floor. The cloth gets tossed in the washing machine and is reuseable. It sprays soooo much better that the swiffer wetjet and in the end is cheaper b/c no sheets or fluid to replace!!
    Thats pretty nice, but $40 is pricey for a mop!

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I have a Bissell steam cleaner and it seems to do well enough. I just use plain water. And if it's not shiney enough, I invite the grandkids over to play in their socks :lol:
    mine is Bissell too..I tried them all, and read reviews, etc..and the little green Bissell does ALL floors and I just love it!

  15. #15
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have a Shark but only use it on ceramic tile.. I tested a sall area of my wood floor and it streaked. My floor is the wood laminate though. I use the Bruce laminate wood cleaner with a soft terry map (can change pads out). One thing is to change pads often. I do vacumn the wood first with my Oreck.

  16. #16
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rev.../dp/B003UA7F46

    Rubbermaid floor cleaner (similar to swiffer but much better)
    This thing is incredible and you mix together your own fluid in it. We used murphy's oil and water at my SIL's house as she has hardwood floor. The cloth gets tossed in the washing machine and is reuseable. It sprays soooo much better that the swiffer wetjet and in the end is cheaper b/c no sheets or fluid to replace!!


    Thats pretty nice, but $40 is pricey for a mop!
    I am looking to buy one. I only tried out my SIL's. I have the regular mop from the grocery store that is like $10-15 but the sponge gets gross very quickly and am constantly spending $5 to replace that and then they don't sell that brand anymore and it's off to buy something new.

    With this, it's a one time investment and you can wash the clothes and use your own cleaning fluid. In the end, it is easier to use and cheaper

  17. #17
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,648
    I use the shark steamer too and it leaves everything nice and shiny. Sometimes I put a microfiber cloth on my Swiffer head and squirt vinegar water on it and wipe it up fast. Then finish with the Shark steamer.

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    1,943
    I have the Shark steam mop and add a touch of white vinegar to the water - my old wood floors shine streak free! I also use this same solution on my porcelain tiles in our finished basement. Vacuum first!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.