machines at yard sales

Old 06-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
I was just given a Kenmore in a cabinet that all looks like new .But, no book so I can not figure how to get the thing to do anything but sew straight --seems I don't know what to do with the fancy stitch button --how to set it .
Google sewing machine manuals and see if you can get one.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Most people are honest, but many are inclined to express hunches as if they were fact. Instead of this kind of story, what is much more common is for sellers to say it "works fine" when what they mean is the motor ran and the needle went up and down. They might not have a clue how to thread it.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Maybe she just did not have time to use it..That happens to a lot of people....
Old 06-14-2015, 06:28 PM

My great grandmother was a seamstress/milliner, my grandmother (her daughter) did not like sewing, she didn't have to as long as her mother was alive. And then she bought my mother a nice sewing machine for a wedding present so my mother could repair things for her. My grandmother never understood cutting fabric apart, only to sew it back together. And alterations could be paid for so she didn't need to sew anything more than a loose button. My mother sewed out of necessity - my dad said his mother never had a sewing machine because they were too poor while he was growing up so she mended by hand.

My mother gave me her 15-91 and then bought a small Brother machine at Walmart that she never uses. She had it in case she needed to mend something, but never got it out of the box. She was afraid she would be able to thread the needle. My niece has that machine now - she uses it quite a bit to make costumes for her kids.

I did see a TV show a few years ago about the history of the sewing machine and they said the home sewing machine was the second largest expense after the family car up to the 1950's. Now there are a lot of homes that don't even have them. (Neither of my daughters have or want a machine. Where did I go wrong?)