Magical Quilting?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

This thread doomed for closure.................

Billy
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Do you really think if there was somebody on this board even slightly familiar with witchcraft they'd admit it? My guess would be only if they want to be totally ostracised.
Scissor Queen, sorry, I completely missed this post of yours before.

I see your point, but saying you know something about witchcraft is quite different from saying you practice it or even that you believe in it.

And I don't think the majority of the people here, whatever their religion, are so close-minded that they would shun a person who admits to being Wiccan or practicing witchcraft. Probably the majority of us would be curious and interested in knowing more.

My question doesn't even require a belief in witchcraft. I mean, many of us enjoy reading our horoscopes now and then, even if we don't really believe in them. So if there's some lore about using color or pattern to imbue a quilt with certain qualities, we might enjoy making quilts according to those ideas even if we don't believe there's anything to it.

I mean, we already have the cultural practice of not making pink or purple baby quilts for boys. Those same people who insist colors can't have powers are sometimes the first to fear that using those colors for baby boys will make them effeminate or worse.
I think you might be real surprised at just what kind of attitude people that are Wiccan or that practice witchcraft get from the majority of people. My best friend is a witch and I see the stuff people have said to her on forums.

I know your question doesn't require belief. But it does require research or prior knowledge.

There are a couple of witch's quilting groups on yahoo groups. You might find answers there.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
This thread doomed for closure.................
Billy
No reason that it should be. Looks like most of the people who have a problem with the very idea of magic have the sense to stay away. And although a few have made some disapproving comments, they haven't ranted or repeatedly harassed.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I think you might be real surprised at just what kind of attitude people that are Wiccan or that practice witchcraft get from the majority of people. My best friend is a witch and I see the stuff people have said to her on forums.
It doesn't surprise me at all that they get nasty responses, but I would be surprised if it were from the majority of people. I'd imagine a vocal nasty few could seem like more.

Thanks for the Yahoogroups idea, btw. Who knew? I will be looking them up.

And now, everyone, I want to say that this is more about magic of any kind (as it relates to quilts) and not specifically about witchcraft.