Making curtains

Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Not conventional but living in Texas it gets HOT...and its even hotter in South Texas than other places...I made curtains and put car window shades inside them - so the back is the same as the front but the silver shield you put up to keep the heat out of your car is sandwiched between. You can't see it and it really works! All but 1 of my window's have that.....so if they are looking to keep out light or heat - this worked for me!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

I make curtains as a side business....lining is very important, especially on curtains with lots of sun...some backings will fray or get eaten away very quickly...use a decent lining and the curtain will last much longer...blackout is good if you want it dark..otherwise regulat 50/50 poly cotton is fine...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
I make curtains as a side business....lining is very important, especially on curtains with lots of sun...some backings will fray or get eaten away very quickly...use a decent lining and the curtain will last much longer...blackout is good if you want it dark..otherwise regulat 50/50 poly cotton is fine...
A 50/50 poly cotton lining? Not looking for blackout just darker.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Not conventional but living in Texas it gets HOT...and its even hotter in South Texas than other places...I made curtains and put car window shades inside them - so the back is the same as the front but the silver shield you put up to keep the heat out of your car is sandwiched between. You can't see it and it really works! All but 1 of my window's have that.....so if they are looking to keep out light or heat - this worked for me!
Love that idea! We live in WA state near the puget sound. Pretty mild summers here. Really mild compared to what you guys have :) But we are military. So sooner or later I am sure I will need this advice in our future endeavors!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I hung a pair in my hall way just to see how they hung and it was working quite well to block out a lot of light. I just made the backing 1/2 inch shorter and narrower than the front the people that bought them were pleased They also do not need to worry about fading with muslin
Didn't get a chance to check out what they had for liners tonight but I still like this idea too. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Love that idea! We live in WA state near the puget sound. Pretty mild summers here. Really mild compared to what you guys have :) But we are military. So sooner or later I am sure I will need this advice in our future endeavors!
I was telling my daughters about your post and my response - they said it help blocks the cold too - not that it gets really cold here but we have an old house and they said when they have it up they can feel the cold air coming through but when its down it blocks it!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I am making some curtains for a friends little boy. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to use on the back of them so they help keep out the sunlight? She picked out a cotton fabric that she liked. Do you think if I backed them with fleece or flannel it would be enough to darken his room? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
I got blackout lining for curtains in my bedroom, and let me tell you - it works wonderfully. Total blackout! The only light is what leaks around the edges. And I hear it is supposed to help insulate the room too.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 AM

This sounds like what we need. Do you sew the curtain over a pre-made car sun shade or buy the shade fabric by the yard? If so, where can we get it? I tried a search but wasn't able to find yardage...maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
This sounds like what we need. Do you sew the curtain over a pre-made car sun shade or buy the shade fabric by the yard? If so, where can we get it? I tried a search but wasn't able to find yardage...maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing?
I bought the pre-made shades...I got them at Dollar General for about $3.00 each - which was way cheaper than buying something like that by the yard...you can't tell that they are in there except on one side of my son's curtains where I used white fabric and the only time you can see then is if the sun is pouring right in the window....
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
they have the rubber like stuff at JoAnns by the yard and because the sun in Arizona is hard on everything I lined my RV Curtains with that. It works on keeping cold and hot out.
True I have used it and it does work.