Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Luggage Standout

Blog Entries

Making Luggage Standout

Here's a question that I must ask!

First the reason for my question. I am leaving in August for Cairns, Australia (actual destination is Robina, Gold Coast, Australia, but my Bridging Cultures program is in Cairns). I bought black luggage, I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I did. Maybe it was the sale on the luggage. ($99 for a 5 piece set that was normally $230, I could not beat that with a stick!) I want to make my two bags stick out, any ideas of what I could make to make them stand out?

My program is giving us bright colored tags for our luggage, but I want to take extra percautions. Should I also buy brightly colored locks?

Also, any ideas for things I could do on such a long flight? Other than sleep! I already planned on that! I am also hoping to invest in a kindle, just so that I can have some books on me, and not have to lug them.
    I'm so close to the first finish line, yet I feel so far away.

Blog Entries
    I don't really know where you live but we flew from Los Angles, USA, to Christchurch, New Zealand on a direct flight. We were lucky enough to leave at our night time and arrive at their daytime. (The same on the return flight). I asked my doctor if a should take a sleeping pill and she said definitely. I slept both ways, no jet lag. I don't take sleeping pills, but I would again for a long nighttime flight.

Blog Entries
    I'm getting TSA approved locks, which means I can lock them, but TSA is allowed to open them. I don't know how that works, but it's what I'm doing.

I'm flying from Chicago to Los Angeles, and then Los Angeles to Brisbane. Brisbane to Cairns and then Cairns to Brisbane. My flight from LA takes off at 11:35 pm. I plan to sleep on the flight, but I'm not going to sleep 14 hours.

Congrats on being able to spend time in Australia.

I'd also like to mark my black luggage to make it stand out when traveling, it would save lots of time looking for it at airport carousels. Will be checking back to see what ideas others have.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I bought straps for our luggage, you can get them anywhere that sells luggage and even Walmart and Target. They go around the luggage and buckle, many many bright colors to chose from. I think they were about $5 each

I took brightly colored tape, it wasnt duct tape, had a shiny surface and put a big X on both sides. I could spot that coming down the luggage ramp. Duct tape come is all colors so I guess that would work too. Bright yellow!!
    Jean in MI

I stenciled a bright design on our black luggage. It really helped. it was quick, easy and origional.

Be sure and check with your airline regarding the straps that go all the way around. When my daughter went to Europe she had to remove them as they catch on other luggage I guess. Fortunately we had also put colored ribbons on her handles.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Actually - you are allowed to lock luggage. The TSA just has the right to remove them for searches, if they decide your bag needs a physical search. Non-TSA locks are normally just cut off. The TSA has partnered with luggage & lock companies to make TSA approved locks that essentially have a master key for the TSA to use. This allows the TSA to have access, yet protects your luggage from non-TSA personnel.

Here's the TSA webpage explaining them: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ant/locks.shtm

What an exciting adventure! I would definitely take a sleeping pill. In my opinion you will get a more restful sleep. Also, if you have an inflatable/travel pillow bring that as well. I also travel with my own throw to use instead of the airline's blanket. Those things will help you have a better sleep.

As for things to do, do you do any kind of handwork? I knit so I would bring knitting. Nothing too challenging or large. I would probably bring an applique project if I couldn't knit. I also like to use flight time to make my lists.

I would go with the brightly colored locks. I have a red suitcase and it is a not that common type so I used to not have too much trouble. However, recently, I've seen tons of red suitcases in a similar style so I've made some decorative tassels to put on my handle. I have also seen patterns for handmade luggage tags. I was thinking about making some single block tags and that would be fun too.

I take a 2.5 inch strip of bright fabric, and tie a piece on the handle of my luggage. You can spot it it an instant on the luggage turntable. Good luck and have a fun trip.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

I stenciled/painted a large sunflower (what else could I do?) on each side of my bag; it could easily be seen on the luggage carousel and was pretty too. I received several complementary comments. But large colorful duct tape Xs would do the trick and can be removed when no longer needed.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    Thank you! I will keep those ideas in mind!

I stenciled an angel on the front of my bag so I could spot it when it arrived at the baggage claim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bsquilter View Post
    I stenciled a bright design on our black luggage. It really helped. it was quick, easy and origional.
    That's what I did. I put the design on all sides including top and bottom so I can see it coming on the carousel no matter how it's facing. Just something small like a leaf or a flower but in a bright color.
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 06-19-2012 at 06:06 AM.

As for taking needlework to work on while in flight, can you take scissors now??
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

About three years ago I bought red luggage thinking it would be easy to spot on the carousel. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea. I have pulled the wrong luggage off the carousel more than I like to admit. I finally took some yellow ribbon and tied it around the handle of the bag. It's a short ribbon so it won't get stuck in any of the mechanisms at the airport. I'm always able to spot it, so much easier!!

Use acrylic paint and paint kites soaring into the air...Maybe three with long ribbon tails, in vibrant colors. I can see my lugguge coming down the belt and it is so easy to get mine amoung all the black luggage on the belt. I painted both sides of my black luggage ( as you don't know what side will be up when put on the belt) and even put my name on the bottom right hand corner. You can get locks that are airport approved to lock your luggage and if they want to open them, they can as they have a key. I got mine at AAA, but the airport shops have them too. That is what I use. hope this helps.

Get some brightly colored hairbands and put them on the handles of the luggage to differentiate your luggage from everyone elses. Bands of fabric would work, too.

Enjoy your trip!

in 2004 DH and I traveled. Our TSA approved locks disappeared after the bags were checked in! Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    As for taking needlework to work on while in flight, can you take scissors now??
    It really depends on the airline. I have taken blunt tip scissors on some international flights and domestic flights and then not been able to on others. I usually always carry either a dental floss container to cut thread, a round Clover thread cutter or the Clover yarn cutter with no problems. I leave it in my notions case in my carry on with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    in 2004 DH and I traveled. Our TSA approved locks disappeared after the bags were checked in! Such is life.
    Thankfully, I have not had that happen yet. I would be very upset about that!

we use bright colored painters tape.. yep the stuff that is kinda like masking tape only it comes in colors.. I know it is supposed to be easily removed and when i am ready to remove it it does come right off with out leaving any residue. But I normally leave it on there until it is ratty looking.. which is MANY trips.. We usually mark a BIG X on front and back of suit case.... and then run a strip around the outside edges... we never have a problem spotting out luggage. We get many grin and " good idea remarks" about it too.
    I also have an older suitcase that is burgandy but appears black... I used craft paint and stencils to paint flowers and leaves and such on it... it too is easily spotted... but I think the tape is the easist!

I love all the suggestions. I hope I get to use them one day. Another simplistic identifier I thought about. Take the brightly colored tape & put your initials on all sides. Don't put your name!!!! Or maybe a favorite sports team or hobby?

In the past, we used the ribbon on the handle, but if the handle is turned away from you, you have to straighten the luggage sometimes to see it. That can be annoying & taxing on the back. I vote for something that is removable on all sides. Have fun...I am very envious.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    many years ago, my dear aunt simply tied a red plaid ribbon to the handle. she no longer travels and i asked her for that ribbon - it's been on my luggage for a few years now. have a great time in Australia... what a wonderful opportunity.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast