Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making some color block drapes and could use advice or thoughts >

Making some color block drapes and could use advice or thoughts

Making some color block drapes and could use advice or thoughts

Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 PM

I've made curtains for years, and the key is measure twice and cut once. Be sure to double the amount you want for front and back rod pockets and top of rod, plus 1/2 inch for hem. Also allow at least two inches for the bottom hem and 1/2 in, turn under. only sew the lining to the top of curtain do not stitch to the bottom. they won't hang right . when you are making them of different colors, be sure to add an extra inch to each piece for the seam an press seams open. measure the window glass and add two inches below or make them 84 in. for long and 64in. for short. Your choice. Hope this helps and is as clear as mud. Good luck
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM

I've made drapes for decorators here in Phoenix. They really are very easy to make, even lined ones. First of all the price for that material is excellent unless it's a very inferior material. I would insert the colors at an angle not straight across the width of the fabric. Makes the drape much more interesting and prevents the seams from making imprints. I wouldn't serge the seams but I would press them open. Weights in the hem are essential if you want a professional look. You can use weights which are quite inconspicuous or chains depending on how substantial the material is. It's also very easy to line drapes. Cut the lining material three inches narrower than the drapes are going to be, use a half inch seam allowance and when you press them the width of the curtain versus the lining will automatically accomplish the one inch hem allowance you want on the sides. I always make a double four inch hem on the bottom as it also adds weight to the drape. I don't know what you want to do with the top. Good luck. You'll do fine. Jan
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SewWrite View Post
OK, so I did find a couple of pictures after all!
The picture of grommets was me "measuring" them out evenly, prior to insertion. Thanks for looking!
Those turned out really nice! I love what you did with the leftovers and the recipient is adorable!!

Luckily I don't have to do anything with the top. DIL says she plans to use some sort of clips so top will be flat. I'm thinking I need to add a little sturdy interfacing along the top between drapery and lining. My main concern is the idea of linen. She saw some on Etsy and they were over $450 per pair!!!

I just need to make the panels really. There will be one on each side of the window so if they are off by a little, no one will ever know :-). The place where she saw them told where they bought linen. She plans to order a swatch from that company to see about the quality.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. You are all the best!! Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks! I think I charged her a couple hundred, maybe $250, but I do remember, she didn't bat an eye at the cost - apparently, she'd priced them outside, as well. And, YES, they make a special liner/stiffener for up at the top - I think it's about 4-5 inches wide, and it's stiff, but doesn't effect the drape of the drapes.

I can't think of any reason not to use linen, unless you're worried about how thin it might be. Maybe you could stabilize it with lightweight fusible interfacing? I don't know, but I used that quilter's cotton (I'm pretty sure it was from Bonnie & Camille) without issue. But I did serge all the edges..all of 'em. Good luck!