Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Medical Face Masks for Children

Medical Face Masks for Children

Here's my latest photo of face masks that I'm still making for the children with Congenital Heart Defects. The kids love the "happy" masks & the parent's love the fact that they are washable & can be used over & over. This batch is the beginning of my November/December donations. I send a total of 80 masks of baby size, small size, medium size & large size every other month (20 of each size). Beginning in January I will not be making the masks with ties but instead be sending only masks with the elastic ear loops. I can get a lot more "bang for my bucks" with the ear loop masks. The ties require more fabric. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    oh those are so nice! I do wish we didn't need them. Good work!!

a wonderful donation!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Those are wonderful. I can just imagine the people really enjoying them. It's just too bad that they need them.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I'm glad you are still making these... they are wonderful and much more fun for the kids than generic paper masks. Thank you osewme!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you have a pattern or did you make up a pattern? My hubby is in woodworking and sanding, he uses masks to prevent getting so much dust in his lungs. I would be interested in seeing a pattern you have??
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

What a thoughtful thing you do for children. Thank you for that. Can I ask where you found the pattern for these?

Blog Entries
    I don't know which pattern osewme used.
    i was inspired by her post so went in search of one.

i found this:
    https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...ing-pattern/2/
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

[QUOTE=PatriceJ;8142103]I don't know which pattern osewme used.
    i was inspired by her post so went in search of one.

i found this:
    https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...ing-pattern/2/[/QUOTE

This is the pattern that I use also. They only have 3 sizes (small, medium & large). For babies, I've been told by moms that if I make the elastic shorter, the small size masks will stay on the babies. This is one reason why I'm starting to eliminate the baby size with the ties & will make small masks with shorter elastic for the babies. I might even cut the small size mask patter down just a tad for the baby size.

ppquilter, I think these would work very well for your husband. I use them when I clean out my hen house & they work very well. They are so much better than the paper ones from the hardware store and fit so much better.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Osewme, what a great idea. Would you please share where you got your pattern from? I'm trying to come up with some projects that are easier to make than quilts for donation.My husband passed away from 10 long years of fighting kidney cancer just over a year ago. Just before that happened, I suffered three strokes which left me only partial use of my left side. Needless to say, some tasks are no longer a possibility for me and some days I can't seem to find the sunshine in my life or the energy required to be able to stay with anything long enough to finish the projects. I do want to get back into being productive and generous so I think this might be just the thing. Thank you so much. Tropical

Tropical, so sorry for the loss of your husband & your dealing with three strokes. Making these masks is a very rewarding piece of my life. Here is the pattern that I use for these masks.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...ing-pattern/2/

P.S. I've sent you a p.m.

how are you doing with fabric? Need any?

It appears that you have made two different styles - do you have a pattern for the others at the bottom or are you not making those anymore because they require ties? Our group is considering these for a charity project so I will appreciate any advise you have to offer.

Thanks - Cindy

A really great donation gift to make. I am sure they add a smile to the young ones face.

Bless you a million times over! These are wonderful and I know they bring much joy to the kids who wear them. Sadly there are kids who do have to wear them. Thank you for your loving thoughtfulness.

You have been busy and I do recognize some of my fabric. Keep up the good work.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Could you use shoe laces for ties instead of constructing them? Or corded string by the yard? Or even narrow elastic?

Great idea! And they look to be fairly easy. Would be a good use for "scraps" and would not be as threatening when used in a setting for children. I suggest that these be washed so that all finishing products are eliminated and please don't use fabric softener or scented soaps as these are so close to the nose and may be either offensive or a source of respiratory irritation for the person wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
    Could you use shoe laces for ties instead of constructing them? Or corded string by the yard? Or even narrow elastic?
    I never thought about using corded string for the ties. Shoe laces would have to be 40" long & those would work too. Such a good idea....thanks.

I never use fabric softener for washing & always use "free" detergent...no perfumes added.

This is a great idea. I will check with the children's hospital here in Jacksonville, Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by daisydawg View Post
    how are you doing with fabric? Need any?
    daisydawg, I sent you a p.m.