Memories of Christmas Past

Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM

My favorite Christmas was when my son was 5 -I gave him a set of real tools for ''beginning carpenters'' they were small enough for little hands. By the end of Christmas day the tree and 3 end tables were shorter but perfectly level. He was the only grand child,and it was 'cute' LOL. Grampa bought him all kinds of wood and they spent a lot of time making things together in the basement. My little sister is only 4 yrs older than my son and they would paint and decorate all the bird houses and feeders together. That little set of tools created so much more than objects for many years. He gave it to his oldest son and now my oldest great grand son has it. And apparently the first projects are suppose to be the shortening of table legs. The best $20 I ever spent
Old 12-14-2014, 08:07 AM

I have a lot of precious memories as a child. One Christmas I remember us older girls getting "Betsy Wetsie" dolls. Another year, my beloved Mother made us three older girls cowgirl outfits with little bolera vests and skirts. We got boots, cowgirl hats and pop guns. We had a great time. My Grandparents had a movie camera and filmed us at Christmas time. Those movies are so precious to us!! We are having them digitized.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 AM

I also received an orange or tangerines in the toe of my stocking. It's an old tradition based as far as I can tell the the orange was considered a luxury item in the winter. The is even a mentioning of an orange in a stocking of a Laura Ingalls Wilder book. We also got gold wrapped chocolate coins based on the merchant that had three daughters and no dowry. Funny how we keep doing things and we don't even no way
Old 12-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

one of my favorite memories was when I was about 12 yrs old. I wanted really nothing from my boyfriend, so I asked for purple snow. On Christmas Morning, I answered the door, to see that Andrew had spray painted my front law purple with food dye. how romantic was that???
Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 AM

This is a difficult story for me, but one of the best Christmases ever.
In August 1985 my DH was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease. That Christmas we were living in a little bitty trailer, in a little bitty trailer park ,near the hospital so he could have his Chemo without travel time, to make it easier to get him back "home". When Christmas rolled around we had no money for gifts or decorations (ours were in storage in our home town 300 miles away, and unavailable to us). One day in mid December my 2 DD and I went to a food bank to get help, and I met a wonderful older nun who interviewed me, and we talked for several minutes, one of her questions was "did I have faith?". I said yeah, I guess I do. It was a rough question to answer at that time.
On Christmas Eve, I sent DH with our last seven dollars to get some decorations to use on the tree that the neighbor gave us as a gift. While he was gone, the same nun knocked on our door and announced that we had been adopted for Christmas! They brought in more food than we could store, and offered to hold the excess for us, many gifts for DD's and ourselves, they also brought a star and tree skirt for our tree, and an invitation to dinner at the Convent. I remember being overwhelmed with so much kindness. When DH came home and found all the gifts, he cried. I remember his words "My babies will have a Christmas morning!". The seven dollars he took with him got us four packages those old styrofoam apple ornaments in two sizes. Our tree was wonderful with nothing but those silly tacky apples and gifted star and skirt. During the night our youngest DD (age 3 1/2) got up and opened every one of the gifts. I caught her at it when I woke up at about 3 am. I spent the rest of the night patching paper and rewrapping the gifts.
What no one knew was that that would be his last Christmas. He was gone by August. I still hang an apple on my tree to remember my best Christmas ever when I learned that a little faith can work miracles.

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.