Memory Teddy Bear help

Old 04-06-2020, 06:14 AM

Default Memory Teddy Bear help

My mother passed away almost two years ago now, and I have hung on to her sweaters (heavy cotton, tightly knit).

My daughter is expecting her first baby in November, and I'd like to make a memory teddy bear out of her grandma's sweater.

Does anyone have an idea of a decent pattern I could use for this? I really have no clue how to go about doing this for her.

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 AM

I've never done anything like this myself, but it is an oh-so-sweet idea. Here's how I would approach it. Consider, perhaps, purchasing a pattern for regular fabric. Then trace the fabric outlines onto a solid (colored similar to the sweater) fabric with a felt pen, adding an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance for each piece. Cut the fabric pieces apart, label with whatever (they're not going to show anyway when you're done).

Because the sweater is going to ravel uncontrollably when cut is what I'd try to prevent with this method:

Lay out the whole sweater as flat as possible. Do not stretch the sweater. Now overlay the largest pattern piece from the cut-apart fabric atop a single layer (wrong side) of the knit sweater. Pin in place from the fabric side. Now to the sewing machine.

Using a regular straight stitch in default length, stitch a scant 1/4 inch in from the fabric edge all around.

Repeat with the next largest fabric piece, then the next largest, etc. until all fabric pieces are affixed to the wrong side of the sweater. Now, cut apart close to the fabric piece raw edges. Proceed to assemble the pattern pieces from the pattern directions. Reinforce your seams, clip curves, trim excess seam allowance, leaving a generous 1/4 inch. No need to iron as you'll stuff well. Stuff with Polyfill, and label with some info as to the teddy's history and significance in your new grandchild's life. Take your time. This is a sweet heirloom.

Here are some other considerations. You might want to sew closed the front halves of the sweater. Use it for the belly of the bear, but be sure to REMOVE any buttons and perhaps embroider little daisy petals where the buttons would normally attach. Once you know if the baby is a boy or girl, plan your embellishments accordingly ensuring that no parts can come off and become a choking hazard. Even if you plan a little ribbon somewhere, make certain that it is securely attached. Be sure to document your project for your own brag book.

Incidentally, I Googled "memory bear" and saw that there is a plain fabric (old shirt, etc.) one shown, priced at $50 on Etsy.

Hope this gets you started. Keep us posted on your project - I'd love to follow along.

You're a good Grandma.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:27 AM

From a previous thread I had found this site:
https://ideas4diy.com/diy-memory-bea...h-instructions

If you've never made any dolls/stuffed animals, like any other project, I stress making a practice piece first before going into precious mementos. It's been so long since I've done any tight curved seams anyway... You might also consider sock monkey type projects from the sleeves.

It's a lovely thing you are doing, best of luck for your project.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:28 AM

What a wonderful idea and it will be a great treasure for the new baby. The only think I have to add is that you may want to apply fusible stabilizer once you take the seams apart on the sweater. It would be like the T-shirt quilt that are made. Good luck on your adventure.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:01 AM

One of the most popular patterns I've seen is McCall's L9547, it's only available at Walmart. It's $5. I couldn't find it at either Walmart in my town, but my friend Cindi found it in her town 2000 miles away, so she bought a couple and sent me one. I've made one bear and one bunny - I just changed the ears on the bear from little round ones to big long ones, and then I made a poofy bunny tail out of minkee. The pattern is simple and fairly easy.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:13 AM

What a great idea! I have made a number of teddy bears and other stuffed animals over the years. I don't know what is out there anymore as it has been around 20 years since I made the last ones. McCalls and Simplicity usually have some nice patterns. Since we are house bound right now I would look up either of these pattern makers and see what they have available then see if it is on sale at JAF right now if you can't wait to get out to look at the pattern books in person.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 AM

These are great ideas.

I'd love to hear from someone who may have used a sweater. Yipes this makes me nervous!!
Old 04-06-2020, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I would cut off the seams, and then from the back, apply some iron-on interfacing, probably medium weight. Then cut according to pattern pieces.

Serging edges of each piece before assembling would control the raveling edges.

Good luck, Red! Be sure to show us what you come up with.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:57 AM

You might look for Simplicity A2115. It seems to be the same as McCalls and is sold at Walmart.
I love the little vest on the bear.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 AM

Use seam tape on the sweater seams to avoid unraveling. tape, not hem tape or bias tape. It's white and lightweight. I've had good luck using it. Good Luck with the Teddy Bear.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-07-2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps