Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Microsoft Word question...

Blog Entries
    I'm creating awards for students in Word. Each page is a different award. I want a different border on each page, but I'm not having any luck doing that. I can do the first page, or the whole document. Highlighting the page I want the border on doesn't help.

Help? Anyone? :-D

slowly going forward cuz' I can't find reverse
    do you have powerpoint?

Blog Entries
    I think that is how Word works Karla....I agree with Shibori..do you have PowerPoint? Or you will have to do a separate document for each page.

Blog Entries
    I am still running Windows 95 so your version of Windows may have some variations. I used my Windows 95 'help' and it gives directions on adding borders. Those directions make me think I could add different borders through out the document.
    What version of Windows are you working in?

Blog Entries
    I think I just did it in W95.
    I inserted 2 pictures in a document.
    Format, borders and shading, page border.
    This put the same border on both photos.
    Then I right clicked on one of the photos.
    Clicked borders and shading.
    Chose my borders and such.
    On the right at the bottom there is a drop down that ask if I want to apply my choices to:
    text, paragraph,picture.
    I chose picture and clicked okay.

Blog Entries
    What version of Word are you using? If it's older than Word 2003, this may not work.

Your border graphic image needs to be placed as a graphic on the page you are working on. Not as a background.

In the Picture toolbar, pick Text Wrapping > Behind Text.

Set up your award text to show in the middle of your border.

Add a Page Break after the last bit of text.

Do the exact same thing for each subsequent page.

If this doesn't work, or you still can't figure it out, you may have to have a separate file for each certificate.

good luck!
    -Wendy

Blog Entries
    Wow--thanks for all the replies... I'm headed to try some now.... Power Point...hmmm....don't remember if we have that.
    Oh--it's Word 2007.

Back--I couldn't get these ideas to work, soooo I will either have to make each a document, or I'll just change borders everytime before I print each page... ugh. I bet they'd take the same amount of time to mess with.

Blog Entries
    My technique should work in Word 2007. I just forget where that dialog box is on the ribbon bar (I have 2007 on my work machine and 03 at home).

is your border a graphic or a frame around the paragraphs?

07 is probably "assuming" that you want to use the picture as a background.

Try this:

Start with a blank document.
    on the Insert tab, pick Insert Picture
    Make sure "set as background" is NOT checked.
    select the picture once it's on the page and right-click. A context menu should pop up. Look for something that says "Properties"
    You want to get to the dialog box that has the WORD WRAPPING OPTIONS, and you want to select "Behind Text"

I'm not completely sure where that is, and I can't find it for you now, sorry!

Blog Entries
    Oh--I was just using "page borders." I don't need anything special--just what's offered there. Finding other options for border art will take too long--there are 24 to make. :roll: I think redoing the borders before I print each will work.

The paragraphs have been sent to four friends for editing... I always miss something, usually from is "form" and or is "of." :roll:

Oh, Terri--have you read them yet? :lol:

Blog Entries
    i have Word '03 here at the house, so can't give you the steps in '07.

the trick is to start a new section whenever you want to change the border. when you change to the new border, make sure to tell Word to apply it only to that section.

i just tested and it works.

Blog Entries
    PatriceJ--I tried that "this section only" option several times before posting and it still changed it to every page, even after I tried highlighting the stuff on the page I wanted the border around--which was the whole thing. I was so sure that was the perfect option--but it isn't working as I think it should. :|

Blog Entries
    I believe in Word 07 "Page borders" is a page background option, and it wants to apply it to the entire document.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a Paragraph Border you can choose from the drop down list that would be fancy enough for a certificate, if you don't want to find certificate clip art online somewhere and use as a graphic.

Blog Entries
    Can you set up each award as a paragraph and then just border each paragraph differently, even thought each paragraph will be as big as a page?

What if you complete one award, save it, then reopen it and click on "edit". Then change the border.

I would insert an autoshape of the border, the same size as the page border would have been. 2007 is not the easiest Office Suite to get used to - I still have to click and click before I find what I'm looking for.

For using the built in-borders, you have to section the document first.

Page layout tab, breaks, section breaks has to have the breaks set first. Then you can go to the page borders. When you set the page borders, the "Apply to" area will have a pull down that lets you choose "this section only". When you are doing that, you need to be on the page you are setting.

I got it to work on mine.

Oh, and you can pull down some of the canned border art there, in the middle column, under "Art"... and re-color the black and white ones just above that setting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I would insert an autoshape of the border, the same size as the page border would have been. 2007 is not the easiest Office Suite to get used to - I still have to click and click before I find wha I'm looking for.
    When I was first confronted with Office 2007 I made this analogy: "This is just like someone came in and reorganized your kitchen while you were away. You know you have a large frying pan, but it's not in the cabinet you used to keep it, and you have to look in ALL the cabinets to find it!"

After close to 3 years working with it, I'm finally getting used to it - but now, I hear that Office 2010 lets you arrange the ribbon bars the way you want, and I actually am looking forward to a Microsoft upgrade for the first time in over a decade!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I would insert an autoshape of the border, the same size as the page border would have been. 2007 is not the easiest Office Suite to get used to - I still have to click and click before I find what I'm looking for.

For using the built in-borders, you have to section the document first.

Page layout tab, breaks, section breaks has to have the breaks set first. Then you can go to the page borders. When you set the page borders, the "Apply to" area will have a pull down that lets you choose "this section only". When you are doing that, you need to be on the page you are setting.

I got it to work on mine.

Oh, and you can pull down some of the canned border art there, in the middle column, under "Art"... and re-color the black and white ones just above that setting.
    Okay--this worked well for one page!! Then I happily kept going and couldn't get it to work again... but I must be getting closer. :lol: I've lunged horses, finished planting the garden, worked on some blocks and have gotten the wash off the line... now I'll drink some tea and work on it some more...

Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Moonpi!!! I'm doing it!!! It's working!!! Happy dance!! Thank you so much!! I would not have clicked in those places without your help. Yay!!! :-D :-D

Thanks!

I can only imagine what I could do if I learned all this stuff. :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have this to say about Word 2007.

Bill Gates is lucky he doesn't live in my neighborhood. Eggs are cheap around here. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Been working on them for awhile and all is well! I'm putting a colored border on each and adding clip art or a photo from the year.

The only trouble now--and it's minor--is there's an extra page between every award. I'll just need to be careful to print pages one by one.

I'd love to send the project to someone, but when I try that--it never is able to be opened on their computer. :roll: So, I'll take photos of the printed copies so you can see what you helped me do!

I'm so relieved I'm ahead of the game this year. These don't need to be finished until later in June. Their quilt blocks are coming along too!

Blog Entries
    When you click print, there should be an option to click and then list the pages you want to print in the box.
    1,3,5,7,9 just make sure you put the comma inbetween the page numbers :wink:

thank you Moonpi, I will try this :D:D:D

Patrice....he doesn't live ALL that far from me, my cousin has been to his home :wink: and eggs are cheap here too :lol::lol::lol: