Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mom, make me pillows she said... >

Mom, make me pillows she said...

Mom, make me pillows she said...

Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Mom, make me pillows she said...

DD just got her new home and is having fun decorating it. She has decided that she wants her living room in “1970’s rustic”. She found a couch that is identical to the one I owned when she was born. (That ‘olefin’ polyester stuff never wears out does it?) anyway, for Christmas she asked me to make pillows for her couch. SIL likes soft furry things, so I figured I would look at my ”minky” for inspiration. I found the perfect fabric for “rustic”, but it was too narrow for the 16” pillow forms. What to do? Find something to work with such an unusual color and texture “minky”. The quilters cottons looked too ‘bedroom-ish’ so I kept looking. Polyesters? Nope. Upholstery fabric? Nope none matched...now what do I try? As I stood and looked around the room, my faux leather caught my eye. (I have a little scrap left from a purse I made a few years ago.) Bingo! I was back at the sewing machine in minutes. I like them, but will she and he? They were thrilled. They took them home and showed the neighbor, who wants me to make her two just like them (sorry dear, no custom orders, and no more fabric). Here are my fuzzy custom living room pillows.
Attached Thumbnails 57a48cf2-ba72-4d3e-b332-c94f1fb6e464.jpeg   d69d48a4-411e-40b6-adf1-d20d15914604.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Love it! Nice stroll down memory lane also!!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:44 PM

OMG, I have some of that faux leather fabric and just couldn't decide how to use it - mission accomplished!

Those pillows are too cute!
Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Lawdy! That decor was hideous then and is surely worse now for the redux!!! I think you were amazingly brave and creative to have accomplished this.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Lawdy! That decor was hideous then and is surely worse now for the redux!!! I think you were amazingly brave and creative to have accomplished this.
I gotta agree with you!! one of my favorite thrift stores has a couch and chair set like this that they are asking $100 for!! In very good condition but ugly as a mud fence. I told the store guy we call those Cops couches, because when you see old episodes of Cops and they show up at someone's house (or trailer) there is one of those couches.
Attached Thumbnails couch.jpeg  
Old 01-07-2018, 08:23 AM
DJ

They are perfect! You are very creative.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I gotta agree with you!! one of my favorite thrift stores has a couch and chair set like this that they are asking $100 for!! In very good condition but ugly as a mud fence. I told the store guy we call those Cops couches, because when you see old episodes of Cops and they show up at someone's house (or trailer) there is one of those couches.
DD has the one with the slate blue in it, I actually had the set pictured, and I had a “park bench” style suite with the same print a few years later. The one in the picture just might be my old set....lol. One of mine had a”town” print, and the other had the “old mill” print, both in the same rust tones. Yech.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 PM

You are one brave person to want to revisit the 70’s with a sewing project. The pillows look great, and you’re smart not to take any custom orders!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

My mom bought the set with the old mill on it new in the late 80s. 10 years later when she wanted new furniture she tried to pawn the old stuff off on one of us kids and we all laughed.

Cari
Old 01-08-2018, 11:37 PM

Very cool!!