Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Momma use to say,......

When someone was mad, my granny would say, "He/She can just get glad in the same pants he/she got mad in." Also, the one I probably heard most was, "if it had been a spider, it would have bit you."

Blog Entries
    My mom used to always tell us when we were complaining about wanting something "if wishes were horses then beggars would ride" and when we asked what was for dinner she would most often say "slivers and sharp teeth" still don't know what that one means!

My mom used to shake her head and say, " I don't know, I just don't know." (She had seven kids, including four lively boys!) My dad's most frequent mutter was, "Another Monday(or whatever day) shot in the a**! He said that almost every day. Wonder how I turned out to be such an optimist:-)

Blog Entries
    "If you don't put your clothes in the wash they are going to stand up by themselves in the corner. " We lived on a farm and the boys would forget to put their clothes in the wash. Or Mom would say...If you don't put your clothes in the hamper you will be washing them yourselves. It didn't take long to put the clothes where they belong.

My mum always said "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". People often wonder why I am so quiet!!

When I was little and I would fall down and skin my knee, or elbow or... whatever, my Daddy would tell "It'll be better before you're married". After I was married, and something stupid happened and I'd complain, he'd say "It'll be better before you're old". Well, my Daddy is gone now, but I can imagine him telling me "It'll be better before you die".

Blog Entries
    My Grandmother would say: Be good and you'll always be happy.

My Mom's says: Never Empty Handed to the Kitchen Go. (If you go from here to there or wherever, take what belongs there with you)

And, I say: I don't chew my cabbage twice. (I just don't like to repeat myself over and over and over.) Edie

My dear Mom, who died in 1993, used to say the one about: "One of these days you'll have a child who'll pay you back for all these things you've done to me!" and I did; and now my daughter has a daughter and three sons who are ten times worse than any of my children, at times.

She also used to put my 'poker straight' hair up in rags to make it curl which really hurt my tender head, and she would make me repeat: 'Pride must abide!' In other words, I had to have enough pride in my appearance to endure the 'rags', even though it was a painful thing for me.

Another good one both of my parents used was: 'Don't count your chickens before they hatch!' This applied especially as a young teen when I started babysitting. I'd be planning how I would spend my money and Momma or Daddy would remind me: 'Don't count your chickens before they hatch.' Then, sure enough, someone who had asked me to babysit would cancel, and the money that I had counted on was not there!

My Mom used to say," If you haven't time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over."

My grandmother said, the older you get the faster time passes, I thought that was so silly but you know she was right. Carol

Now here's one I can appreciate, Edie. I lived with a deaf person, well almost deaf for over thirty years. I came home to help my folks, quite elderly at the time, both of them were hearing impaired. I had to say things six to eight times. It was exhausting. But, when I'm around younguns and they don't listen, it P-turbs the blisters out of me !!! I like that, "chewing cabbage", it fits! Thanks

Blesssing,
    Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    My Grandmother would say: Be good and you'll always be happy.

My Mom's says: Never Empty Handed to the Kitchen Go. (If you go from here to there or wherever, take what belongs there with you)

And, I say: I don't chew my cabbage twice. (I just don't like to repeat myself over and over and over.) Edie

My Mother used to say.....Just wait till you have kids of your own......She was so right!!!! :-D

Today, is my deceased mother's birthday. She passed away about two years ago, her top three favorites were:

"Pick up the pieces and move on!"
    "Everything happens for a reason!"
    "The good Lord never gives us a load we can't carry!"

I heard these numerous times in my life, and I can still hear her saying them.

My mom used to always say..."Do as I say, Not as I do"

Blog Entries
    My grandma used to tell me "your mistakes are the only thing you can truely call your own, learn from them and they aren't mistakes after all just lessons gone wrong!!"

My mother was a hard working farm woman. Sometimes she'd get tired and want to take a nap. Never worked out well. I can remember her saying, "no sleep for the wicked and the righteous don't need it". If some one dropped a spoon on the floor "you were gonna kiss a fool".

My mom would say, "Want that in one hand and poop in the other and see which one you get first." She normally told me this when I asked for something I wanted. LOL Except she would say the S word in place of poop.

Quote Originally Posted by laurlync
    When someone was mad, my granny would say, "He/She can just get glad in the same pants he/she got mad in." Also, the one I probably heard most was, "if it had been a spider, it would have bit you."
    I always heard ... if it had been a SNAKE it would have bit you ...

I heard a lot of the others listed ... plus

"Close the door you weren't raised in a barn"

"Believe half of what you see and nothing that you hear" (what you hear isn't always told to you the right way or is necessarily the truth ... as in you can't believe gossip)

"Birds of a feather flock together" (you're judged by the company you keep)

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time"

My mom's sayings:
    "I'm gonna wrap this broomstick around your neck!" (When we were being bad...however, she was never the disciplinarian in our house! LOL)

"Wait till your father gets home!"

"She needs a great big 'letting alone'." (When we had fights with our friends.)

My dad's sayings:

"You've had your holiday."

"What you don't have in your head, you've gotta have in your feet." (If you aren't concentrating on what you are doing, you end up doing MORE to make up for your mistakes.)

"Nobody likes to sin alone."

"As long as you live in my house, you'll live by my rules."

My grandmother would say "Children are suppose to be seen and not heard" boy would that tick off a lot of people today LOL , also she would say "A willful waste makes a woeful(sp)? want.

My Grandma always said, "why put off till tomorrow, what you can get done today" and "you'll never regret getting a chore done early", although I told her once when I was little that wasnt' really true, cuz' once mom figured out I could do it, then I'd have to do it again, and then I'd regret it. I still remember her laughing about it.

Another quote from an old friend "getting started is half the job"

A favorite of mine that my daddy used to say was, "It'll feel better when it quits hurting." Duh!

My mother use to say, "If at once you don't succeed, try try again, be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all."

Lyn
    Gramma said, Take it up with the dust and let the rain settle it.
    In other words she didn't want to hear about it.

My mother use to say someday you'll have a kid just like you. I use to think it was a curse... I must have been a really good kid *giggles* cause my daughter's wonderful *grins*

Blog Entries
    When describing someone who was a little homely, my mom used to say, "She just missed being pretty."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast