Momma use to say,......

Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Mom used to say: This too shall pass. Which is always true, no matter what. But, boy, sometimes I just wanted to complain to a sympathetic ear without hearing that.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 PM

My mom used to always say to me, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Usually whenever I was fighting with my younger brother (we were/are both very stubborn and often clashed as kids). I knew she was right, but it used to p*** me off every time she said it. :oops:

Toward the end of her life, as her health just kept deteriorating, she would say, "This, too, shall pass." And eventually she was right.... :cry:
Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM

When my Dad thought something didnt make sense he would raise one eyebrow and say "I dont understand all I know about that!! My grandmother used to always ask when i would be back to see her and my reply was "I might come next Saturday." She would respond with "Mites are on chickens , when are you coming back?"
Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Mother would say "I'm going to snatch a knot in you if you don't stop that".
We were never allowed to call someone a liar or say that someone told a lie. My grandmother would ask "Are you telling a tee-waddy?"
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Lyn

Originally Posted by greaterexp
When describing someone who was a little homely, my mom used to say, "She just missed being pretty."
Mine would say " She fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Bless her."
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM

I have so many, but the one I remember most as a teenager was when Mom would tell me "Remember who you are!" (keep out of trouble and keep our name in good standards).

One grandma always said "Never take a lazy man's load" (carry only what you can handle or you will drop it all).

I would ask the other where is my toy AT? She would say "Right before the AT!" (Meaning proper English would be.... Where is my toy?)

Many others.....

As exciting as watching paint dry! (very boring)

Hot as two weasels breeding in a breadsack (very very hot)

I could go on and on.

Sheila
Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Oh Sheila, your mom and mine with the colorful ways of describing things!

My mom's were

If a room or house was small, you "couldn't cuss a cat without getting fur in your teeth" or you "had to go outside to change your mind"

Things were "uglier than a rail fence", or "mud on a barn."

She used to threaten to "kick me into next week," when I was bad and I always imagined that was an island in the middle of the ocean.

The big one I remember when I didn't clean or do something right the first time, she'd make me do it again and say "Now how long did that take?" because it usually didn't take much time to do it right. I also mutter this a lot to myself with my DH, who thinks things belong right where he's finished with them!

My kids remember me saying, "Don't bother me unless you are bleeding or dying," like when I was on the phone, or very busy. They come up and I'd fix them with a look and say, "Are you bleeding or dying?"
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM

My grandmother used to say "what don't kill you makes you stronger." I have found that to be true
Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 PM

My brothers and I were always told " Use your brain...your feet will take you anywhere."

Mom always told me...."Just think how much your family will appreciate you when you get older." Always this when I didn't feel like cooking for our family of six when I was young. I've been cooking for 37 years and I'm only 46 now :shock: Oh well....

I always told my sons...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 PM

Something else that my brothers and I were told when we were young was that "the only reason I better hear any of you screaming is that your half dead" We lived on a farm and were taught that if we screamed we better be hurt. I just wish that everyone lived by that....I live across from a daycare and hear lil ones scream bloody murder for no reason.

When I have a bad day I just feel like walking over and asking which kid is getting killed...but then I bite my tongue and try hard to ignore it.