Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Monitoring blood pressure?

Monitoring blood pressure?

I need to start monitoring my BP at home....doc could not give me any brand suggestios, just said avoid the finger monitor and self-pump is more accurate.....anyone have one they like that is accurate? Thanks so much! And yay! It's officially spring!!!

I've had a Samsung for years. Seems to be accurate, but I've never taken it to the doctor to check it against their equipment. Mine wraps around your wrist and pumps it's self up. Got it at Walmart.

My doctor recommended Omron. I had it checked at the drs. and it was very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
    I need to start monitoring my BP at home....doc could not give me any brand suggestios, just said avoid the finger monitor and self-pump is more accurate.....anyone have one they like that is accurate? Thanks so much! And yay! It's officially spring!!!
    Omron is a good brand. Runs on batteries (batteries last a LONG time). Put the cuff on & push the button. We took ours to the Dr. to have it checked. We got ours at Wal-Mart.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have an Omron that goes around the wrist. I brought to my Dr.'s office a few times and got the same reading on it that they did with their equipment.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

I am shopping for one and read excellent reviews for Omron products. I am looking for one that I can use easily on my wrist.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I had an Omron and took it to the doctor's to check because I kept getting funny numbers. Sure enough, there was a big difference between mine and his professional equipment. He was surprised because Omron is an excellent product but every company hits a clunker once in a while and I guess I got Omron's. Consider all the good reviews posted here but get yours checked against the doctor's just in case.

My insurance company sent me HoMedics to monitor my BP with over several weeks...like 3 months. It is back under control, so I put it away. I did have a wrist model, but it did not work right. Do take what ever you decide to try to the Dr.'s and have the nurse check it against their BP machine. Good Luck.

I did lose some weight and adopt a cat for inside the house...Dr. had to drop the medication down a drop, for the first time in 25 to 30 years. A milestone for me.

Congrats quilting ninasue! Good to hear! I purchased an Omron this afternoon and took it to the gym-they have a blood pressure monitor there-both had the same reading, so I will keep track of readings and take the equipment to the nurse to double check next week. Thanks everyone for your input! ��

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have the Omron and take my BP at home right before I go to the doctor. It's always within 5 points on top and bottom. Have had it about 8-10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis41 View Post
    My doctor recommended Omron. I had it checked at the drs. and it was very accurate.

we have the omron too, works great, think I got it at Costco. Best wishes getting those numbers down

Congratulations for following your doctors orders and being so careful to get a good meter. I hope you get everything back to normal soon.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    we have the omron too, works great, think I got it at Costco. Best wishes getting those numbers down
    I got an Omron too that was recommended to me by the doctor. I also got mine at Costco for $49.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

If it is for diabetes monitoring you should best get one that goes around your arm and not your wrist as you will get a more accurate reading. I also have a Samsung which has been reliable for more than 15 years.

My doctor suggested the arm wrap type and said to buy the best I could afford. I bought a Omron and it's great. It will even record your pressure if you need to look back.
    It is what it is ...deal with it.

I also have Omron and I calibrate with my doc's every few years. A good, reliable, affordable machine from W-green's.

I bought the Walgreen's brand and used it twice a day for a long time. When DH had his heart attack and by pass and developed AFIB it was wonderful to show if he was in AFIB or not, then it quit working I sent it in to be fixed it was about ten years old and they could not fix it and sent me the latest new model that did all the same things free of charge as they said it was warranted for life. I was so happy as the one they sent was around $ 80.00 in the store.

A few months ago I saw a report on the news about home blood pressure monitors and how their accuracy differed widely. After my husband had open heart surgery recently, we needed to get a home monitor. Because accuracy was critical for his recovery, we compared ours with the equipment the home health care nurse used. It was a relief to know ours was accurate so I would recommend comparing with your doctor periodically, as mentioned above. It is critical.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the info here. I was just diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure lasst week and I have an appt with the cardiologist in April and am assuming he will tell me to get one. I think I would get an Omron because I have a pedometer that lasted for 1000's of miles and I still love it. Sol if the pedometer is ok, the bp monitors will be ok too!. He may not let me have one either because I have A-Fib and I don't want to measure anything wrong. He may send me to the fire station!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the good info. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

You can get tested at fire stations. Maybe others do it too. I have the white coat thing mine usually goes up around medical people. Blood pressure can fluctuate over anything it is hard to really tell what it is.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Regardless of what kind you buy, take it with you to your doctor's office at least once a year and take your BP and then have them take your BP a few minutes later and compare the readings to see that your bp machine is accurate or that you can adjust for the difference when you take it at home. I have the electronic one that you put your band on the arm, turn it on and let it do it's thing, can't remember the brand name. But so far it has been within two points of the doctor's reading each time I have taken it in, so feel comfortable that it is close enough to get a good reading to give to the doctor. Maybe after you put the cuff on your arm, just sit quietly for a couple of minutes before staring it up and think happy thoughts or of someplace you would like to be that is calming. Believe me it helps as I have what they call "whitecoat hypertension". Not as badly now as I did years ago, but still have it somewhat, especially if it is someone new taking it. I always keep a record of my readings so when I go to the dr. if it is high to the "WH" I can say "here are my readings and they have or have not been okay. Has helped avoid unnecessary meds for sure.

Good luck with whatever one you buy. I found it hard to do the self pump up ones and get an accurate reading.

I had an Omron for about 20 years and I guess the battery went dead. So I bought another one, and my doctor office uses one just exactly like mine! That was enough for me!

Everyone has great advice. Thanks

I have a life source. Check with your insurance company, with a Dr. script I got my at a medical supply store- and my insurance paid for it completely. It is a digital-push the button and it does it's thing