More cats!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I have three outside cats and last week two more showed up. They look the same age about the same coloring so I guess from the same litter. Either they were dumped or from another stray. Wild has heck. They will come to the food bowl but run if I get close. I got close to know one is a boy but I can't tell on the other one so you know what that means. At least one has got to be caught and fixed. I lured them on my back porch with food last night and managed to get one shut on the porch. It's steaming hot already this morning and there I was with big gloves and a winter coat on trying to chase the cat around the porch. I finally got him in a carrier! Whew. He's the lucky one to get fixed this morning and get a check up. I'm hoping I can catch the other one soon. I know the poor thing needs meds for fleas/mites/worming and general shots. DH says we don't need more cats but what do you do? They are here and I can't ignore their hunger when I feed the other cats. We have a lots of acreage so they aren't confined to a small yard. I guess we have two more cats. :? :? :? :? :? :? At least these won't be able to reproduce and make more strays.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 AM

You've got a great attitude! One of my biggest gripes about the animal hoarders programs is they don't "fix" their pets. It's abusive not to. I could go on and on. No, I don't think you're a hoarder, just a caring person doing the right thing when we can.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 AM

Bless you for being such a great person. I love animals too. We live in a college neighborhood;and every spring when college was let out;we always noticed "new additions" to our yard or porch. I am like you;I can't watch them to be hungry.
Got several cats that way.Bless you and your KITTY family.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 AM
dd

Good luck with that. Some one is always dropping off cats here. The Humane Society will give a discount on spay/neuter but no one does it for free around here. Can get shots at a discount too. The one vet will give the discount even if you don't have the pre-purchased certificate from the humane society. He just gives you the same price and doesn't make you go thru the red tape. Very nice of him but they don't all do that.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 AM

What lucky fur-babies! You are sooooo awesome for taking them to be fixed. There should be more people in the world like you. Bless you!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 AM

Well, I too have been down this road and I am glad to see you are willing to "fix" them and return them to live their life...

My sister, who lives in Lake City, FL, has had many cats dumped on her. They have lots of acreage and they seem to find her house..she fixes them and finds a home for many but now, the number is up to 11.

My vet here in Alabama told me that the feral cats would survive outdoors for about 2 to 3 yrs as the winter's are hard on them.. I fixed many, turned them loose as they were past domesticating, and would also put out dry food for them.

Too bad people don't find it in their heart to fix their animals...

I am proud of anyone that takes the time and effort to trap and fix a feral cat.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

My rule is if I feed you, you get fixed. No, rule does not apply to husband and kids:)
Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 AM

I think this is a wonderful thing you are doing. Feral cats are a real problem where I live, and I can't believe with all the publicity that people are so irresponsible as to dump unwanted kittens. There are cat havens here where cats can be sterilised for next to nothing, and still people don't do it.

Good for you. I hope you get joy out of knowing you've helped defenceless animals have a better life.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

You're a good person to take them all in. We took in 3 and that is enough cats for us. cat hair everywhere all the time. but we love them, mamma and her two girls.
good luck!!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by erstan947
My rule is if I feed you, you get fixed. No, rule does not apply to husband and kids:)
Lol!