more layoffs at my job

Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 PM

They have already layed over 100 people off last year at the company I work at. I was sitting and having lunch with my friend and her husband called and said she will be getting a layoff at the beginning of the year, the company sent out letters to everyone. So it turns out that the company told our group leaders that they will be about 45 more people at the end of this year that will be permanently layed off. They will be getting rid of the people that have attendance problems and that don't know many jobs. I think I should be good because I know almost 20 jobs there on the line I work on. I can't afford to not work. So please hope with me that I don't lose my job!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:25 PM

I sure hope you're kept on. Sounds like you live by the rule of 'you never know too much, so keep learning'. That's a very good rule to live by, too, these days.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:26 PM
BMP

All this is so sad, I dont understand that the 'experts' are claiming the economy is picking up. It certaily isnt in our area.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:30 PM

I will send you good vibes. My husband was laid off in May. He just went back to work last month. He was lucky enough to get rehired, but we had to take a substantial pay cut.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM

The more you know, the more you're worth (to them, anyway). My husband dodged a bullet this week because he can fill in so many places. I wish you luck.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Well that just stinks! Try to keep a positive attitude, someone most certainly will appreciate that. Hang in there, thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Hang in there. Literally. It's such a tough economy right now. If you can, save for that rainy day. You just never know. It's worth the peace of mind to have something tucked away. And when the economy improves you can blow it all on fabric or a fantastic vacation. ;)
Old 12-02-2010, 05:02 PM

i am hoping/praying you are able to keep your job..stay positive, keep your head up!

we have a couple auto plants (GM/Ford) that are hiring in our area(detroit)..we heard the other day, that the steel plant may be hiring soon too..they called back all the laid off workers.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
The more you know, the more you're worth (to them, anyway). My husband dodged a bullet this week because he can fill in so many places. I wish you luck.

Glad your husband dodged the bullet.

From a business perspective, the more you know "the more your worth" is 100% true. I always made sure to become an "expert" on something when I took on a new job, then branched out and learned as much as I could about everyone elses job. Knowing other peoples jobs made it easier for me to work with them. Also makes it easy for you to become your a 'go to' person for your boss - a person who made their job easier.

Also found it quite useful to follow the advice of a former co-worker, "Be nice to everyone. You never know who your boss is going to be." And, given a choice between two people who are basically at the same level/salary in their job, a boss will choose to keep the one he/she likes the most. That's just human nature.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

You have my fingers crossed for you . I dont wish that on my worst enemy. being smakced by one of gods cureball with my accident I was unprepared for the rest of my life I truly wish nothing but good vibes head your way for the future.