Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most offbeat Christmas gift?

Most offbeat Christmas gift?

DH & I have been together so long that it's hard to come up with Christmas gifts. Last year I drove around town for about 2 hours trying to come up with something. I decided to give up for the day. As I came to the intersection for home I quickly turned into Bojangles. I went in and purchased $100 of $10 gift cards. I asked for 10 of the little apple pie boxes and ten bags. The ladies in Bojangles know DH really well so they loved my gift idea. I assembled the "gifts" rolled the top of the bag down, put a bow on the bag and put them under the tree after my DH went to sleep. He though it was hilarious and still thinks it was the best gift ever since I fuss at him all the time for eating to much fast food.
    This year he's getting a .99 cent plate made for eating tocos.
    What was your best offbeat gift (given or received)?

My husband and I quit buying for each other at Christmas. We, too, have been married for many years. We spend on groceries to give a needy family (someone we know personally) which is far more satisfying than buying gifts for each other. And - we really don't need anything. We both have been retired several years.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-17-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: pm

M.Elizabeth, I believe you are right.

Cute stores. I always enjoyed doing something fun with boyfriends. Like wrapping a box, in a box in another in another box.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My husband bought a '67 Mustang convertible (her favorite car ever). I didn't know he had done this so was as surprised as she was. He wrapped a package to give her with instructions to go to the garage. There was a big wreath there with a note to go elsewhere, where she found another note. After several more notes, she was in a neighbor's garage looking at her '67 Mustang convertible!
    All of us at the gathering were following her by this time. BTY It's still here favorite Christmas gift. And she still has it after 40+ years.

Blog Entries
    My favorite gift that I received was a bean bag chair back in 1975-ish. I was ~5 yrs old! I loved it! DD gave me a scarf a few years ago that I still wear when I walk our beast of a dog on her twice/day walks no matter what the weather. She hand made it and loves the fact I still use it.
    Go forth and sew!

When I was about 12, my parents bought me a horse. That was cool. After I was married, my husband bought me a top and pants matching set. It was something a very old lady would wear and I never could make myself put it on. That was not cool. We stopped buying each other gifts about that time !

Blog Entries
    I got a pet rock 40 something yrs ago.
    My son would save his bottle and can money and buy me jewelry.
    I was in jewelry sales at the time, so when he was 3 1/2 he got me a charm then a bracelet
    with all his return money. It was , is, 14 kt gold. Over the years, he bought me 36 charms for
    that bracelet. he thought it was a good deal, because he never had a problem buying me gifts.
    he just got me charms. that was back when a charm was $10. The vendors at the flea mkt always gave
    him a good deal on the charms. I still have it but it's heavy now 1 oz. of gold,so I don't wear it.
    I want to shadow box it now.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    My husband bought a '67 Mustang convertible (her favorite car ever). I didn't know he had done this so was as surprised as she was. He wrapped a package to give her with instructions to go to the garage. There was a big wreath there with a note to go elsewhere, where she found another note. After several more notes, she was in a neighbor's garage looking at her '67 Mustang convertible!
    All of us at the gathering were following her by this time. BTY It's still here favorite Christmas gift. And she still has it after 40+ years.
    I just reread what I wrote. Car was bought for DD for her 16th Christmas in 1979.

My husband and I haven't exchanged Christmas gifts in many years. We donate funds to help provide Christmas to the needy families in our community.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I bought something i never thought i'd ever buy for my husband this year...not in a million years. LOL
    He's getting 2 yards of Kansas City Chiefs material.
    He told me last week he wants to make his own rag quilt.
    It's the first time he's ever expressed an interest in making any kind of quilt.
    I was very surprised, but i am going help him ease into the world of quilting making.
    He's getting other gifts too, but this one is the strangest one i've ever gotten for him.

Ok- DH asked me if I had bought him anything yet- answer NO- so he said to go pick out what he had put on the watch list. Not creative- but I know he will like what he is getting. Oh it is a good drill.

I'm giving the unusual this year...a big loaf of cinnamon cranberry bread and a jar of corn cob jelly, yes made from corn cobs. Well, we're from Nebraska! It was my son's favorite jelly and my mom made it then. The kids have all heard about it but never had any so this is the year!

The gift wasn't all that offbeat but I do remember the year I gave my boyfriend (now DH) an air compressor for Christmas. I stopped at Sears on my way home and carefully considered all the options and finally settled on the one I thought would work - after all what did I know about air compressors. I remember that when they brought the box out that it was the first time I thought about how I would get it home! It took about 30 minutes to load the dang thing - tried the trunk and it was too big for that - and ended up laying the front bucket seat down so the box was on the passenger side taking up both the front and back seats of the car. Whew! Got it home then realized I had to get it out of the car and hide it by myself. By the time it was out and I got it into the house I was sweating like a you know what and it was 9:00 p.m. My DH was working swing shift and was nearly out of his mind by the time he finally reached me since I should have been home way before that! Worst of all - when I gave DH his gift - he didn't think it was big enough and took it back for a larger one using his pickup of course! Of yes - my Christmas gifts included my very first cell phone!

My DH and I have bennmarried many years. We no longer exchage Christmas gifts.

Blog Entries
    *** Way back when I was married (divorced 23 years),
    *** my ex gave me 2 complete opposite gifts,
    *** a Lily of France satin nightie & a Flannel shirt.
    *** Still have the nightie (only been worn 4 times) - shirt worn out..
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

A few years after daughter moved out, I kept telling her that if she wanted her high school cap and gown and all her prom dresses that she needed to take them home. After several years of nagging and them still being in the closet, I put it all in a big box, wrapped it up and put it under the Christmas tree. We got a good laugh, and they went home with her.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaiken View Post
    DH & I have been together so long that it's hard to come up with Christmas gifts. Last year I drove around town for about 2 hours trying to come up with something. I decided to give up for the day. As I came to the intersection for home I quickly turned into Bojangles. I went in and purchased $100 of $10 gift cards. I asked for 10 of the little apple pie boxes and ten bags. The ladies in Bojangles know DH really well so they loved my gift idea. I assembled the "gifts" rolled the top of the bag down, put a bow on the bag and put them under the tree after my DH went to sleep. He though it was hilarious and still thinks it was the best gift ever since I fuss at him all the time for eating to much fast food.
    This year he's getting a .99 cent plate made for eating tocos.
    What was your best offbeat gift (given or received)?
    I was telling DH about all your great posts and he begged to differ with me. He says the oddest gift I ever gave him (which he loved and thought was cool) was:
    Name:  duck butt.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  11.1 KB
    DUCK BUTTS
    His last two ducks had died and he didn't want more. The pond looked sad and lonely and I thought the butts would be a good gag gift to lift his spirits.

A beehive and beekeeping kit for my husband a couple of years ago. I created a monster. But I must say I love the honey and the hard work of the bees in my garden. I also get a kick out of watching them come and go and quite honestly there is no better smell then walking by the hives in the summer and smell that sweet bee air (smells of honey and flowers but not overpowering).

carolaiken: I love your duck butts!

carolaiken: I love your duck butts!
    Thanks gramajo!

Blog Entries
    Our third Christmas, my husband bought me a paring knife. It was the best brand, according to him! He hasn't bought a knife or any household appliances as gifts since. Smart man.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

The most unusual gift I ever got was a butt warmer from my nephew's husband! It was a long sheet of aluminum that had wooden posts connected to each end of it. You hooked the post at one end through the back of a camp chair, then ran the aluminum under the chair and hooked the post at the other end in front of the front legs. When sitting outside in front of a fire, the aluminum would reflect the heat onto the back of your legs and onto your bottom. I think it's still one of my favorite gifts I ever received! 😃

Donna

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I just reread what I wrote. Car was bought for DD for her 16th Christmas in 1979.
    Whew, that's a relief; I thought it would be pretty rude to write back and ask what in the world you talking about!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I think the most offbeat gift I have gotten has to be the musical cocker spaniels I got one year! we did not have that bread of dogs and I am a cat lover! I still laugh whenever I see it. It is on a shelf in the guest bedroom!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast