Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: moth balls

Power Poster

moth balls

does anyone know of anything that will get that smell out of fabric?

Power Poster
    Moth balls are tough to get the smell out. I think I would try washing in warm water with baking soda and laundry detergent to see if that works. If it takes most of it out, iron your clean fabric on an old towel because you don’t want your ironing board to smell if there is any residue left. Good luck!

Awful smell! I would hang the fabric on the line outside for a few windy days and see if that helps. Then wash it.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love the smell of Moth Balls - odd, I know, but they have been banned in Europe since 2008, so not seen any since before then.
    A good airing on the line, after running it through the machine with some white vinegar in the rinse cycle should help.

My old maiden aunt always put mothballs in her dresser. I inherited it and cannot get rid of the smell either.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
    My old maiden aunt always put mothballs in her dresser. I inherited it and cannot get rid of the smell either.
    You could try putting some charcoal brickets in the drawers or put a container of baking soda in the drawers. It could take some time(months) to lose the smell. Also leave the drawers open to help air out.

Another remedy might be to coat the inside of the drawers with polyurethane. I inherited an old bureau where this had been done. I imagine it would seal in any odor.
    Sally