Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Ohio....

Wink Moving to Ohio....

My husband and I have decided to put our house on the market and move to Ohio!! We are going to visit his sister this coming weekend and while we are there we will be checking out the city of Alliance and its surrounding areas. I know there are quite a few fellow quilters living in Ohio and I have on many visits found some great quilt shops. My husband is a railfan and he has joined some facebook pages for fellow railfans. We are extremely excited about this move except for preparing the house and of course the dreaded packing. We are seriously thinking of having a moving company move us. I have been checking out the jobs and I currently am a teller so I am sure I could find something in that line of work. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you quilters once we are settled! I plan on taking my notebook and of course the camera to capture some areas so I don't forget where we looked. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quilts are like grandkids - never enough!!

Welcome to the Buckeye state. I guess the weather here won't shock you since you are currently in PA, but get ready for a bumpy ride-weatherwise. I live just north of Columbus - maybe we will meet up one day. Enjoy the moving process.
    Sandy

Thanks Sandy��. I would love to meet you. I know the weather is similar to PA so that won't bother me. I am so looking forward to this weekend and exploring. Just hope my hubby and sister-in-law can keep up! LOL��

Alliance is not too far from Youngstown Ohio... I north of there up in Ashtabula County. about 1 hr 15 min? Welcome to Northern Ohio.
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Welcome to Ohio! Yes we are having cold weather right now but don't blink twice because it could change soon!! I live in central Ohio. Great quilt stores and other places to shop.
    DaleenKay

I love to shop online at Fabric Shack: 99 South Marvin Lane Waynesville, Ohio, 45068. Tell them I said HELLO !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you're phone takes photos, what you could do is when you take photos send them to your inbox (email) with a short note. it worked for me when I went to visit the kids in 2013. Of course the dates would be on your camera. Just worked real well. I also sent them to my DH and he put them in a folder/album. Have fun!

Thanks ladies! I definitely see a get-together coming my way. I plan on taking lots of pictures and have Dh put them in a folder so we can show the realtor what area we liked.

Kathi, I am from Ohio and have been in AZ for a long time but I have always missed Ohio! Good luck and show us pictures.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    You are going to love Ohio.
    Lots of great quilt shops and retreat weekends available.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Lived in n.e. Ohio all my life. I hate the cold so go figure. I too live within minutes of Youngstown. Not much help on quilt shops. Can't afford EM much. There are a few in Cortland. I love online shopping at Thousands of Bolts. They are in Boardman's. Wish they were a walk in store rather than just online. Enjoy the new house hunt!
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Ohio! I grew up outside of Salem which is very close to Alliance. Right now I live outside of Canfield Ohio which is about 10 minutes from Youngstown and Salem. Alliance is close to a half hour from where I am. There is a wonderful quilt shop in Canfield. I also belong to a sewing group that meets about halfway to Alliance from Salem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
    Lived in n.e. Ohio all my life. I hate the cold so go figure. I too live within minutes of Youngstown. Not much help on quilt shops. Can't afford EM much. There are a few in Cortland. I love online shopping at Thousands of Bolts. They are in Boardman's. Wish they were a walk in store rather than just online. Enjoy the new house hunt!
    I too wish thousands of bolts was a walk in store also! I have never bought anything from the sight myself but the owner is a wonderful and generous person She belongs to two quilds i used to belong to and she donated a lot of fabric for the various charity quilts. But i have to touch fabric - LOL

I'm Buckeye born, but now live in Illinois. I love NE Ohio...I grew up in Austintown, not far from Alliance area. I still have a bit of family in the area but seldom get back to visit.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Ohio. I live way down nearly in the southwest corner. I am just north of Cincinnati. I love Fabric Shack. It is about about a 40 minute drive from here. I try to stay away because I always buy too much.

I too am in Ohio... Welcome

Hey meanmom.... Hello from Hamilton.... we should meet at Bella Quilts some day.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

How my fellow Ohioians I don't believe Holmes County and the Amish didn't show up. Berlin, Charm and surrounding small towns have great fabric stores. It is definitely a great place to visit and shop...except on Sunday for church.
    Live, Laugh, Love, and QUILT

Diana

Fabric Shack is a super terrific store. I love it. We stop in there periodically when we visit my sister and brother in Centerville/Dayton, Ohio. They are also on the internet and advertise in lots of magazines. We live in Tenn now - the people are really nice, but I DO miss Ohio a lot. We're staunch Buckeye fans, by the way.
    Dodee

Hi Kathi,

Welcome to the great state of Ohio, home of the Buckeyes!

I live in NE Ohio, Geauga County, and its pretty snowy here, too. Closest quilt stores for me are Cottonpickers in Chardon, Mara's in Eastlake, and the Quilted Thimble in Chesterland. (They are also my favorites.) You would like them all!
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

I live in NE Ohio, too, Summit County, Tallmadge, OH. This winter has been soooooooooooooo cold. I'm sure you're not moving here for the weather. I could not move from OH but I would certainly like to winter in a warmer state.

There is an absolutely fabulous quilt shop in Bettsville Ohio called The Door Mouse. They have over 5000 bolts of fabric. They are friendly and also have classes. Check them out on the internet. Bettsville is a little southwest of Fremont OH. From Alliance, it might take about an 1 1/2hr drive.

And now for your husband - there is a railroad museum in Bellvue OH.

Check both of these places - doubt that you will be dissappointed.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully you like the color RED.. and love football.. LOL. Brutus will love another fan..
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    Hey Wanda lou , I am right down the road from you in Fairfield. I was in Bellas last week. So many good shops around here. I could meet sometime. You can PM me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    Kathi, I am from Ohio and have been in AZ for a long time but I have always missed Ohio! Good luck and show us pictures.
    I too am in AZ but was born and raised in Ohio. We had a 58 acre farm and I miss Ohio. I don't think I could take the cold and snow now. I was a teen when we moved.

Welcome to Ohio, and congratulations on becoming a Buckeye! We're passionate about our Buckeyes here, lol. I'm from the central Ohio area. Just moved back home from "That State Up North". Must say I'm disappointed in the quilt shops in central Ohio. I used to shop at Lolly's and Yoder's in Shipshewana, IN, and they were huge. I used to love The Glass Thimble on High Street - TONS of fabric, but it looks like they've closed. Everything else is pretty much in northern central Columbus, so it's at least a 30-45 minute drive, and not worth a separate trip because the shops are small. So I visit them when I'm visiting my sister in Westerville. I've been to The Fabric Shack, which is about an hour from me. It's pretty nice. I also like Quilt Trends for their modern prints.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast