Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mr clean magic eraser

Blog Entries

mr clean magic eraser

I've tried searching but I can't find the post about using a mr clean magic eraser. Anybody remember what it was about? I just remember that I was impressed and when I found mine I couldn't remember what it was about. Boo!!!

It's been mentioned for cleaning build-up on irons, and I'm sure it would be good for that, but I spray starch all the time and nothing has built up on my iron. I use the magic erasers on my ceramic cooktop and they're great for that. Dampen it first to prevent crumbling.

I use them for cleaning everything in the house. Can't live without them!

Blog Entries
    I love them too, I have white kitchen cupboards and those magic erasers are simply the easiest thing to wipe them down with.

Somewhere I read that a quilter used one dry to scrub her cutting matte. I use a kitchen sponge with the green side (dry) to scrub off threads,etc from my cutting mattes.
    I use Mr Clean Magic Erasers to clean tons of things in my home, plus to clean hard shelled gourds.
    Kat

Blog Entries
    I use a dampened magic eraser to clean my iron and it works GREAT. Be sure the iron is cold when you clean it. (Unlike Rose_P, I get all kinds of buildup on my iron.)

p.s. This is probably the absolute best hint I've learned here so far!!!
    Wendy

I remember my mom cleaning build-up off the bottom her iron by putting salt on a sheet of waxed paper and moving the iron over the salt. I guess it acted like an abrasive like sand paper. Anyway, it sure got off the build-up.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

I use them on everything!!
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    I remember my mom cleaning build-up off the bottom her iron by putting salt on a sheet of waxed paper and moving the iron over the salt. I guess it acted like an abrasive like sand paper. Anyway, it sure got off the build-up.
    Are you sure it was waxed paper and not parchment?? I would think that the wax would melt and stick to the iron, which would defeat the purpose of cleaning it...

I've done it with salt but on aluminum foil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input. I think the hint I was impressed with is cleaning the iron.

I hand quilt, and I use the magic eraser to remove quilting markings as I go along.
    Deanna in SE Michigan

I was telling myDS about magic erasers a while back. He got some and told me he wasnt that impressed with them. Well, i couldnt believe it cuz they are truly wonderful. So i told him again what i used them on. He interupted me and said- you have to wet them? ( proof that men don't read directions and that my son only hears half of what i say)
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

They are great for cleaning fiberglass tubs and showers. Mr. Clean also makes one (comes in 2 pack at Target) specifically for the bath with grooves and scented with Febreze. I found the scent a little much for me so I went back to the regular ones. The generic ones work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Are you sure it was waxed paper and not parchment?? I would think that the wax would melt and stick to the iron, which would defeat the purpose of cleaning it...
    You can iron wax paper, I remember mom always using it to clean her iron. and we used it to press leaves between it.
    Donna

I washed my windshield inside with one. Did a great job, no streaking.

DO NOT USE THESE ON YOUR PRECIOUS MACHINES...The Magic erasers are made with micro abrasive, that means mico scratches and after a while, items will dull that the erasers have been used on. Ceramic seems to do just fine. If you wipe a wall after the kids...you will see latex paint on the sponge. Easy does it on surfaces and never on your machines.
    D in TX

love the magic erasers!
    Pam Riggs

I use a fabric that had lots of dye I did pre- wash and the dye come off on my new expensive sewing machine I was sick.I tried bleach nothing I tried a few other things nothing some told me to try Mr clean magic eraser it worked it got the dye off I was sooo happy
    It is great on shower scum too

My husband uses them to clean the soles (sides) of his tennis shoes. I use them for everything!

I was going to the store today to get some goof off to get paint off a featherweight case I am selling tomorrow I just tried the mr clean magic eraser it worked I don't have to use that goof off ya!!!!

I remember using the wax paper bread wrappers but in a pinch we used waxed paper and the iron would be so slick.

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
    I use them for cleaning everything in the house. Can't live without them!
    Ditto! When they first came out I figured they'd be useless but wow... was I wrong! I use them on EVERYTHING!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Dianna77984 View Post
    I remember using the wax paper bread wrappers but in a pinch we used waxed paper and the iron would be so slick.
    I always used wax paper to remove gunk from my iron but I also used to buy something in a tube (I think I got it at either the grocery store or at Hancock's) that you put on a dry rag & rubbed on, then ironed on something kinda nubby. I just don't have a problem with gunk anymore... my iron is too cheap for anything to stick to... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    My mom used to use bread wrappers when they were wax coated like waxed paper, you want to make sure you use a warm iron not hot. I know that ages me, but that was back in the day before plastic bread wrappers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast