My 14.00 counter make over

Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 PM

slightly sand it than use a primer paint. if you use stone paint it is textured...put once you use plyutheme...(no idea how to spell that...just put on 6-10 coats and it will be smooth.
Originally Posted by virgwid
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! My master bath had two really bad plumbing leaks, so my teenage son took it down to the studs, removed the floor, fixed the leaks (I didn't help - I wanted the tub out of the bathroom since I never used it, so in sawing it into pieces I hit a water line, and well, upshot- poor son had another leak and more repair work). He took out everything but the shower and the sink. He has the floor repaired and a wood looking laminate down, and the new toilet in, and I am slowly gonna do the walls. That includes putting up new drywall, as, well, when I cut a line, I really do a good job. Anyways, I have always hated my counter in my bathroom. I didn't want to spend the money to replace it, as it is perfectly good and workable, but now I have something to try to get it to look better. It is not, however, flat laminate, it is slightly textured. Don't ask why. The same idiot that put that in also had put carpeting in the bathroom. I was wondering if you had any idea what the spray paint might do with the slight texture? I am willing to give it a try, as even if it looks really bad in the end, I would be the only one seeing it. What do you think? Virg
Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM

I am careful when washing. I do not let water sit on the tiles. They look great!!! no lifting yet.
Originally Posted by joym
wow...thanks for all the information and ideas...just one thing tho, those peel and stick tiles will come up (probably due to washing the floor and water getting underneath).
Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 PM

I used Valspar stone spray paint. It is for interior and Exterior...very important to make sure its used for Exterior...don't forget to use a protective spray or if I had kids I think I may even do the polyurtheme...I used that on my counters in the kitchen looks great...its been almost two years. And the hubby cooks all the time.
Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Thanks for all the tips on redoing a counter top. They will come in very handy. Does it mattter which brand of stone paint? I guess what I want to know is what brand did you use.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM

What a great idea! I'm going to tell my DDs and SILs. They're all talking about new counters.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM

We have the money for new countertops but I really like the ones I have and so proud since I did it my self. I will use the money for things I can't do like installing a farmers porch...that is our next project. We installed all new windows through out the house...it was the same cost of what it would have cost me for cabinets and a counter in the kitchen. So glad I install the windows instead...one is a baywindow that you can sit or lay in...its 12 feet long.
Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
What a great idea! I'm going to tell my DDs and SILs. They're all talking about new counters.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Carolaug, thank you so much. When I bought my house, the kitchen counters were 'sparkled' black laminate. I thought I would have to replace them. Thanks to you, I will be getting 'new' counter tops!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:57 PM

I love it!!!! its so awesome....just make sure you shake it well...and you will need at least three coats....after you spray and it dries well...you may want to wait a night or two...use the protective clear spray or if its going to get a lot of use I recommend the plyurame..(how ever that is spelled...one if these days I will get up and look...LOL...really throught...the stone spray paint is awesome...
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Gah...I tried that stone stuff years ago and didn't have good luck. I hope they improved the formula since then...or maybe my application skills have improved?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I am getting the materials on my next outing so I can get started. I have home made plywood cabinets and that ugly wood look counter top. I can see it now, all sparkly white with sand colored stone counter tops. Hmmm, I'll have to decide on a wall color too. I can hardly wait to get started!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 PM

PS... polyurethane, lol! I just hate it when I know how to spell a word and for the life of me I can't get it right. Either that or I get it right and then I keep looking at it and think that it just doesn't LOOK right.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Thanks for all the tips on redoing a counter top. They will come in very handy. Does it mattter which brand of stone paint? I guess what I want to know is what brand did you use.
this is what I used on the counter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190181.jpe