my back yard visiter

Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 AM

That would scare me to death!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:33 AM

I wouldn't go outside either. Was he hungry or just wandering?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Yeah, I would have taken the pictures through the glass, too!!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 AM

Beautiful animal! Thank you for sharing. We have them here too and they destroy our bird feeders. I make a lot of noise when I go outside. The bear here last week was sure sorry looking. Yours looks healthy and well fed.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:12 AM

We ran into a bear, rather a bear ran into us when we were canoeing in Northern Minnesota years ago. We packed up as fast as we could and got the *&% out of there. As we were all padding away my husband said "Hey BoBo, there goes another picnic basket." That bear is too close for comfort.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 AM

YIKES !! lol
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 AM

I like bears, Simsbury and Avon, CT get them all the time. At work in Windsor we had a bobcat and a mountain lion last year. I got within 10 feet of a baby mountain lion who was just sitting in the little field by our building.

Occasionally we get wild turkeys, raccoons, coyote and deer, and this is all where I work. We do feed the birds though so I'm sure it's the place to be for food.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
What amazing pics. Is that a bird feeder the bear is raiding? Seems like these fellows are pretty bold, do they go away if people are about? Sorry about all the questions, but we don't have bears here. We have snakes, but they mostly disappear if you make a lot of noise or the dogs are around (still wear boots when I go down the hill to the woodshed though!).
I always wondered, do you have bears in Australia? There is a black bear who lives on this property, once he stuck his head in an open window in the living room. I was so surprised I just jumped up out of my chair and smacked him on the nose, he ran away pdq. The biggest surprise is that I did not know I could still move that fast. We have snakes but no poisonous ones. My biggest problem is the deer raiding the bird feeders and the raccoons stealing food out of the dish set out for the porch cat. Raccoons are NOT cute they are a BIG PEST.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM

I live in Alaska and we have black bears that also, raid our bird feeders - but they usually like the suet better (it's homemade) but the iron posts and bird feeders either have to be repaired or replaced... They usually do not stick around... I used to live in CT.... Never got to see a bear around Simbury CT... Never saw a grizzly until I moved to Alaska either
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM

There was a real bear problem several years ago at the coast where my mother lived and where my aunt had a condo about 15 miles away. At my aunt's, there was a pride of 16 that made the rounds every night for the trash cans. At Mother's, her neighbor 2 doors down heard a noise in his guest room. When he opened the door, he found that a bear had broken through a window and was sitting on the dresser looking at itself in the mirror. He figured it could go out the same way it came in so he shut the door and ldft.