Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My expectations about swaps  - >

My expectations about swaps -

My expectations about swaps -

Old 10-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Suz

I've been involved in four swaps. Two for were fabric swaps. In both cases, the fabrics were not of lqs quality and very thin. Another swap was for miniatures quilts. The one I received was one regular sized block/pieces w/binding. Nothing was miniature except for the overall size of the quilt (somewhere about 12"). And the last was for a small wallhanging. The one I received is very nice and I was so appreciative of it as it hangs with two other small wallhangings in my K.

Three disappointments out of four. Swaps are no longer for me. When I corresponded w/the coordinator, I was told that we need to make allowances for beginners. I agree, but one single block of regular-sized pieces is not miniature. Perhaps an explanation of miniature should have been more explicit in the rules/regulations. And perhaps the beginner had not read the requirements. Anyhow, . . . .
Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 PM

I participate on block swaps here and two other boards. One board has a quilting nanny and if the blocks are off by more than a quarter inch or if there are other problems she sends them back. She also has a tutorial to help folks learn how to sew scant 1/4" seams, get perfect points, etc. The other board is "anything goes". The last swap was for 8 blocks and I ended up with 5 usable. With postage as high as it is these days, it's not worth it to me to get unusable blocks.
Actually postage is what has made me re-evaluate participating in swaps at all. But I do enjoy they when they work right.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I don't participate in swaps. I have many, many yards of fabrics that I want to use.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:11 AM

I have never been in a swap but was wondering if you could use the odd blocks on the back of your quilt.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

yes please use left over blocks on the back if you like. it will make an interesting backing and help out if you are short of backing.
I have one king size qlt with lovely swap blocks. most from around the world. one is an applique block of roses. wonderful work! a few years ago i had to stop swapping due to postal rates going so high. shame.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM

I used to participate in a block exchange with some fellow employees along with their family or friends. There was always someone who "did their own thing." Half square triangles were supposed be half white or light and half dark. A lot had almost no contrast and those look strange in the pattern chosen. Another exchange sounded great, but the squares could be any size from 6 to 12 inches and those are proving very difficult to put together.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 AM
Administrator

i suspect that if you join a swap of any type, anywhere, with expectations, you are almost certain to end up disappointed to some degree.

join with hope;
join with whimsy;
join with patience;
join with generosity; or
join with a sense of adventure.

you are far more likely to end up feeling good about it.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i suspect that if you join a swap of any type, anywhere, with expectations, you are almost certain to end up disappointed to some degree.

join with hope;
join with whimsy;
join with patience;
join with generosity; or
join with a sense of adventure.

you are far more likely to end up feeling good about it.

Maybe the "guidelines" should read something like this?

Send in five blocks - any shape, any color, any size, any pattern, any quality of fabric, any quality of workmanship, made from washed or unwashed fabrics - and get five blocks back.

Would it still be a "reasonable" expectation to get five blocks back?

I don't feel "bad" about the swaps I participated in - I consider them to have been "educational" - I learned something from every block that came back - and from the blocks that I sent out, too.

Actually - it might be interesting to send four - of what I would consider "coordinated" sampler blocks to someone - and get four of what my trading partner would consider "coordinated" sampler blocks.

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-25-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I have done a few swaps and disappointment turned to hilarity. I used quality quilt shop fabric. I got back blocks made from cheap muslin, cotton blends, old musty smelling fabric, points cut off, seams not meeting, seams sewn crooked, I could go on. Most of them went in the trash. I did a Secret Pal twice. The first time I got a card for Easter and package of plastic eggs, a stuffed rabbit, and a coupon for $1 off a package of Hershey Bars. Never heard another word until Christmas when I got a tin of cookies all broken. LOL The second swap I got a spool of used thread along with a poem about used thread. Then I got a ziplock bag of buttons cut off clothes, some still had fabric attached and a poem about old buttons. For Christmas I got set of placemats, one with a glass ring stain on it. I am tempted to join a Round Robin to see what monstrosity I will receive back just for the heck of it.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 AM

I once did something like this at a quilt store. We had to buy the batik fabric, pay a couple bucks for the background fabric and enter the contest. I won the blocks but the fabric store owner didn’t reserve enough of the background so she substituted and the blocks didn’t work well together. Decided right then and there that I’m picky and these swaps aren’t for me. Also I once bought a lovely set of blocks sewed together on this board for $10 and when I received it, it was just horribly sewed, it wouldn’t lie flat if I steam rolled it. I stick to my own blocks for now.