Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My happy but tearful week and GINNY. >

My happy but tearful week and GINNY.

My happy but tearful week and GINNY.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 AM

my mom was super fussy about her things, and a perfectionist. i inherited her machine, and it is in perfect condition. imagine my delight, when i was going though my father's workshop, several years later when he passed, and found that he had his own sewing machine down there, so he could do a quick fix on his pants or shirt, without getting mom worked up about things being "perfect". so her singer has a partner, now-- a white that is solid metal, and like lifting a cement block when i move it. the machines are like the owners--hers, perfect, elegant, complex. his, heavy, earth-bound, simple, serviceable. (he was a machinist and tool and die maker/farm boy. she was elegant, a "numbers cruncher", and a perfectionist.)

your machine and memories will give you much joy to balance any sorrow you may feel. it is amazing to "feel" their lives when we own and use these machines with a history...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 AM

I hope you have a great weekend. Keep busy sewing. Sorry for your loss and the problems it has caused in the family. It only takes 1 to really cause the turmoil.
I did smile though when I read her name was Virginia and your calling her Ginny. Thats my moms name too and alot of times she goes by Ginny.
Would love to see your Ginny.
Hugs. ;) :thumbup:
Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Bless your aunt for giving you Ginny. Think of your Grandma whenever you sew on this machine. I'm sure she will smile when you do.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Thanks for sharing your memories, I'm happy for you that you were given her sewing machine. It will bring you many loving thoughts over the years to come.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Have fun with GINNY..I am sure your grandmother would be thrilled to know you have her!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Wow. I can't imagine. I'm so glad that you were able to keep something that will make you think of her every time you use it. :) Your Grandmother sounds like a special lady. :)
Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
With sorrow comes sunshine and peace. Your aunt was definitely thoughtful. Thank you for sharing your story.
Murphy always says it so well.
Your story gave me goosebumps. Hugs to you.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Nice memories to keep.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Memories are wonderful,cherish them, so sorry for your loss, i miss my dad every day, he died in 1995, his second wife and her son took my dads stuff, a lot were his guns, one was his bebe gun bought from the sears catalog. I am still bitter about that, but can do nothing. This is the same son, that took his moms money and spent it all and left her nothing.
God Bless
Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Dee

I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I lost mine years ago, but she is always with me. Their very special lady's in our lives. I still miss mine.