Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my recent use of scraps-lots & lots of scraps

Blog Entries

my recent use of scraps-lots & lots of scraps

I decided to use up some of the scrap strips that were overflowing from the basket i had been tossing them in- so made a 'locker hooked' rug- this rug took a long time (& even though it took alot of strips of fabric-my basket seems to still be full)
    I started it at work over a year ago- i was caring for a 98 year old gentleman- he took great interest in this project & would have me sit next to him while i worked on it- as it grew he started wanting to hold it on his lap while i worked on it- sometimes he would pull out strips for me to use next- sometimes he would tell me what to do in the next section- once he sent me out to the kitchen to fix lunch-stating he would just hold it for me---and he proceeded to remove a whole section while i made lunch! guess he had a better plan for that spot
    he passed away- last november(at99) & did not get to see it finished- when he got sick i brought it home & tossed it in a closet---a couple weeks ago i came across it & decided i really should finish it up- it has some wonderful memories of him for me
    the 'Sparty' in the corner is a special addition for him- he was a big Michigan State fan, Alumni, made sure his kids, grand kids, great grandkids all went to state.
    the rug measures 27" x 38" i still need to back & bind it but the hooking part is finally finished.
    It weighs over 5 pounds! so has ALOT of fabric scraps in it!
    Name:  Rex's Rug_03.JPG
Views: 3617
Size:  880.7 KB
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Neat rug!! Love all the bright colors, and designs!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful - - - absolutely beautiful!

Wow! Love it!

What a lovely story and a lovely rug. I am glad that you found it and finished it.

Beautiful. Lots of work and memories went into this.

Blog Entries
    Great rug ... especially Sparty in the corner (from a life long MSU fan/Northern Michigan alum!) It's nice that you will have fond memories from this project.

Blog Entries
    what a wonderful, touching story.....BEAUTIFUL rug with lots of bright colors.....thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    A beautiful rug and beautiful story. Loved the part about his guidence for you.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

What a wonderful story and what a great rug! Wonderful idea and great use of scraps.
    Patti
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
    ~Mark Twain

That is a wonderful rug, I am glad you decided to finish it.

Great story....How does one do one of these rugs?

Beautiful! What a creative way to use your scraps!! Thanks for sharing.

It looks great and what a nice story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
    Great story....How does one do one of these rugs?
    if you do a search for 'locker hooking' you will see how they are made- there are books available-some quilt shops carry them & the supplies- books are== the Happy Hooker series.
    you use a hook that looks like a crochet hook with an eye in the end- you use open-weave canvas (like the old latch hook canvas) you use string (i use the cotton people use to crochet dish clothes) i toss all of my scrap strips into a basket when i'm quilting (anything less than 2" wide that i may not want to use for quilting) then when my basket is overflowing--- i start another rug...they use alot of scraps! i generally cut my strips about 3/4" wide to hook with- depending on the weight of the fabric- if flannel then 1/2" if thin cotton maybe a whole inch- what ever is easy to hook & fills the space. I've been making these rugs for years---have half a dozen around my house-have given away many- there's a new book where they are making purses/totes...seems like they would be very heavy! i do make hot pads- (for setting hot dishes on) and placemats sometimes...it's a great use for those strips other people just throw away- i pretty much do not throw fabric away- i always find a use for it-

Blog Entries
    What a nice way to remember him. Your design is really cool!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Blog Entries
    Oh, I really like this rug. Really pretty and the design is very pretty.

The rug is beautiful and so is the story about it! Thank you for sharing.
    Janet L52

Blog Entries
    beautiful rug and GREAT story... I know it must hold special moments for you! Thank you for sharing this with us...
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    Wow love your rug. I have the stuff to make a rug just minus the fabric. I just don't have a a lot scraps. But I really want to try it. Was it hard?
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by owlvamp View Post
    Wow love your rug. I have the stuff to make a rug just minus the fabric. I just don't have a a lot scraps. But I really want to try it. Was it hard?
    it is not 'hard' to do locker hooking--we used to always have a rug in the works at the quilt shop i worked at- it was a free demo we showed everyone who came it- and let anyone who wanted hook a row or so- the owner of the shop sold the books, canvas, hooks, string & bagged up 1" strips of fabric--if you ever did a latch hook rug as a kid---i think locker hooking is easier...and uses up those thin strips (salvages, fabric you trim off to square up) that may be too narrow to use otherwise. salvages work great-

ckcowl.......thanks for the mini tute. I'm going to look up "locker hooking" right now. I always have many scraps and to tell the truth, I'm tired of making string quilts. I like to make the blocks but am not too keen on the sandwiching and quilting of them......

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    if you do a search for 'locker hooking' you will see how they are made- there are books available-some quilt shops carry them & the supplies- books are== the Happy Hooker series.
    you use a hook that looks like a crochet hook with an eye in the end- you use open-weave canvas (like the old latch hook canvas) you use string (i use the cotton people use to crochet dish clothes) i toss all of my scrap strips into a basket when i'm quilting (anything less than 2" wide that i may not want to use for quilting) then when my basket is overflowing--- i start another rug...they use alot of scraps! i generally cut my strips about 3/4" wide to hook with- depending on the weight of the fabric- if flannel then 1/2" if thin cotton maybe a whole inch- what ever is easy to hook & fills the space. I've been making these rugs for years---have half a dozen around my house-have given away many- there's a new book where they are making purses/totes...seems like they would be very heavy! i do make hot pads- (for setting hot dishes on) and placemats sometimes...it's a great use for those strips other people just throw away- i pretty much do not throw fabric away- i always find a use for it-
    I was so surprised to see info on a locker hook. A few years ago on a shop hop, one of the LQS that we visited had a display item. Bought the hook and canvas; put it in my sewing room and just happened across it the other day, not knowing how to use it. I went to search "locker hooking" to no avail. Would you send me a PM to advise where I can locate the instructions as to how to do this craft? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    anyone interested in learning to locker hook rugs- check out the books:
    The Happy rug Hooker, 1, 2 &3 (there may be more-those are the 3 i have) by Cindy Murray
    and
    Kathleen's Fabric Locker Hooking by Kathleen Carpenter

Beautiful rug and story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast