Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Necessities

Banned
    cell phone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My husband

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    My husband
    He's a wooly booger!

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    My husband
    He's a wooly booger!
    And quite cuddly :)

I live without many of the new fangled time saving things. I have no cell phone, and never will have one. No dishwasher in my house. No air conditioning. No GPS system in my truck, I just drive around looking like an idiot until I find where I need to go! lol No voice mail on my land line, if a call is that important, they will call back, and if they are lucky I might even answer! lol No self cleaning oven, the key to not having to clean the oven is not to use it! lol

Could live without internet if I had to, satellite television, I only listen to the music channels mostly anyways, and that is just so there is some noise, and if someone sees me talking to myself, they think I'm singing along! lol :)

Banned
    My husband
    He's a wooly booger!
    then why do you want to live without him??? :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    He looks like Santa Clause to me. Lol

Blog Entries
    No Land Line---haven't had it in 5 years
    No dishwasher----that is why I had kids :wink: LOL
    No electric can opener---just like to hand ones
    No GPS---- Don't like being told make a U turn :roll: and gets nasty if you don't do it :shock:
    Self cleaning oven----Don't use the oven that often, brownies don't bake over :lol:

Blog Entries
    voice mail

Blog Entries
    I would be lost without my iPhone, internet and TV. I love technology! I have a quiet dishwasher and love to bake. I'm always going somewhere, so a GPS is very helpful.

Tiptoeing out of this thread because I can't think of something I would like to live without ... :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I would be lost without my iPhone, internet and TV. I love technology! I have a quiet dishwasher and love to bake. I'm always going somewhere, so a GPS is very helpful.

Tiptoeing out of this thread because I can't think of something I would like to live without ... :oops:
    I agree!! I could live with out an electric can opener! I don't own one. I read that you could burn X number of calories by using an old fashioned hand turn kind. Plus, I really don't use that many cans, usually fresh or frozen. Most of the cans I do use, have a pull top............so does can opener even count for me?? Hmmm??? 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x

I'll tiptoe with you! I love gadgets! I don't have an iPhone...yet. I use my GPS all the time and constantly use the internet for home and work. Yep, I'm teched!

Blog Entries
    Cell phones gets my vote, too!!! I have one, and I rarely ever use it!! Actually, I rarely ever use my landline either!!! ;)

A few people that I know!

No GPS---- Don't like being told make a U turn :roll: and gets nasty if you don't do it :shock:
    Two years ago on vacation, third in a line of vacationers, front car had the GPS. We left N.C. to come to Il. I said, "We're going NE we need to be going W." (My Jeep has that little thing by the roof that indicates which way you're going) After the third time of me saying it in an hour the woman in the passenger seat of my car (her two daughters had the gps) got really nasty about it so I kept my mouth shut until I couldn't stand it anymore and yelled, "WASHINGTON D.C!!! WHAT ARE WE DOING IN WASHINGTON, D.C.??????" These new fangled contraptions are only as good as the people operating them. Give me an old fashioned map anytime.

My husband
    He's a wooly booger!
    then why do you want to live without him??? :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO!
    silly...........i CAN'T do without him...........:)

I can do without my land line.

When I think of how many lives may have been saved over the last few years, by people being able to call 911 from where they are standing.........the cell phone would be the LAST thing I would want to give up. I do not use mine that much, but it sure came in handy twice, during emergencies.

I could give up the electric shaver. It would not bother me to lather up and do it the old fashioned way.

I could do without a clothesline and have for the past 20+ yr.s, did that for many years and finally got tired of washing out bird poop several times, started using my dryer all the time and am quite happy. I don't watch cable TV very often, I sure enjoy it when I do. Thats about all I would want to live without.

Alarm Clock...wake up with the sunrise, so why bother with one of those gizmos when we are retired?

But coming from a background where I lived with my grandparents growing up, they did not even have cabinets in the kitchen, sink hang off wall, once they finally had water rather than hand pump for well...

They never did get real serious about indoor plumbing.
    When grandpa finally decided to do away with the outhouse, he put flusher on the back porch and put shower curtain up for privacy.

Heated with wood burner, cooked with one too...candles and oil lamps, plenty of quilts for the winter...and a "convenience" with lid tucked under the bed, because in the deep winter of Michigan, even though he had installed a flusher on the back porch, he kept it drained in the winter, and turned the water on for emptying the conveniences twice a day, then shut the water off and drained the pipes so they would not freeze.

Our neighbors voted our family as the most likely to survive...
    I have lived here in this house for over 20 years now, sometimes with no utilities, and still did just fine.

But with all that, I will admit that I do like my modern day appliances, running water, power mop, electric vac, electric fridge and freezer, instead of a literal ice box...etc.

I think what I would miss most if I lost all modern appliances and do dads would be my internet, I would miss all of you.
    I would keep quilting, because I can still do that by hand.

I would just hate missing all of you, and this site.
    And no, I am only in my 50's, not so old as you would imagine for having experienced all that at my grandparent's home.
    And yes, I loved it there, hard work and all.

Blog Entries
    I could give up the small electric appliances in my kitchen, Ipods, kindles, Wii and other game consoles, VCR's and DVD players.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisanne
    those automated answering systems that so many businesses use
    Segways
    cell phones
    GPS navigation systems
    dishwashers (I know this one will make me unpopular)
    cable TV (and then we'd all have decent reception for network TV again)
    I can do without the dishwasher. Gone most of my life without one. Have one now, but still wash a lot of the dishes.
    I don't have an electric can opener either. No GPS, but DH just got one.
    I don't have, need or want an electric can opener, either, but when I was a teen, I railed at my mom one day about how it was such a stupid invention and why did we have one anyway. And she pointed out that some days her arthritis was so bad that she couldn't use the regular one. So I know it's very helpful for some people.

I suppose the same is true of the dishwasher, but they really don't need to be in every kitchen.

I want to add to my list the electric toothbrush!

My dentist talked me into it, but honestly, it's a pain to use. He insisted on a certain model, it's supposed to be top of the line, but there's no pause button. It runs for two minutes, and during that time, no chance to spit and rinse, or even inhale through your mouth.

Even to move the toothbrush to another part of your mouth, your lips have to be closed or it sprays toothpaste all over your face and hair.

I don't think it does much more for me than regular brushing and flossing. Maybe a little more, but not enough to endure the discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Does Starbucks coffee count ?
    That would get my vote. Seems like overpriced when I can make a cup to suit myself at home.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Cell phones! Maybe I don't want to be available 24/7!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast