Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need advice about dry sinus and nasal passages... >

Need advice about dry sinus and nasal passages...

Need advice about dry sinus and nasal passages...

Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Another simple trick - put a damp, cool washcloth over your face and just breathe normally. We had this issue the first time we went to NM. NJ is soooo humid and NM is soooo dry by comparison. Maybe breathe through the damp washcloth and then use the jelly to keep the moisture in there. Sorry you're having issues. I know how painful this can be.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Another simple trick - put a damp, cool washcloth over your face and just breathe normally. We had this issue the first time we went to NM. NJ is soooo humid and NM is soooo dry by comparison. Maybe breathe through the damp washcloth and then use the jelly to keep the moisture in there. Sorry you're having issues. I know how painful this can be.
This sounds good, hate to depend on pills to clear this up. Funny thing is that I've been to other desert areas for at least a week at a time and never had this happen, but things change and I'll be prepared for my next trip wherever we go.

Yesterday at grandnephews 5th B-day party one of the gals told me she often visits family in Vegas and goes with allergy pills, nasal spray and antibiotics every since she had an attack like I did. Too bad I didn't get to talk to her before I went to Vegas.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Have you thought about getting allergy test. I did that and was surprised because 20yrs ago I tested negative for everything but this time I tested positive for most trees, house dust, dust mites, and a bunch of other things. I also got an air cleaner and I'm amazed at the difference that makes. Make sure it's hepa filter or like one though. Works great. I was really surprised at how much it cut down on the dust. Now I'm taking allergy shots once a week. I was told to go from winter to summer and not open my windows because of all the allergy problems it causes. Thank goodness my animals are low on the scale so they are good to go.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM

I bought a very small (about the size of two fists) room humidifier at Walmart a couple of years ago. I just put it in my suitcase and go. It only will hold a cup of water at a time but that's enough for a night. It works wonders in hotel rooms. The other thing you can do is to put a thin layer of vaseline in your nose and around the outer edges.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

When mine get real bad I use a neti pot.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

it's funny, i'm from Houston but live in Colorado now. very dry here. a few yrs ago I went to Houston and seem to have caught a cold on the plane maybe. my nose ran the whole time I was there. it was terrible. i even came home with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM

When we drove from Texas to California in the summer (years ago) we stopped for gas in Phoenix AZ mid afternoon and as soon as DH started pumping the gas he got a nosebleed from the extreme heat and dryness.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM

My allergist told me to use Sin-o-Fresh nasal spray. It's over the counter and it cost about $15. but it works. You can also use that Ocean nasal spray it's also over the counter. The bottle top is orange and it's not to expensive and you can use it as often as needed. Good luck finding something to help you. Sue
Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 PM

If you ever get stuck without a humidifier again, hang some wet towels, in the room (preferably in front of the A/C). Fill the tub with water and leave the bathroom door open. You can also just place a shallow pan of water, next to the bed. Not as good as a humidifier but it'll still add some moisture to the air.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM

I discovered NeilMed nasal rinse at my pharmacy a year or so ago, maybe more. I had what seemed llike continuous sinus infections and was tired of round after round of antibiotics which in turn caused yeast infections. I started using the rinse. I bought the starter box which included the bottle with applicator and a few envelopes of the powder mix. Make sure you buy the Distilled bottled water. Regular water hurts too much. Also, buy an extra box of the envelopes so you have them on hand.
I began using the rinse up to three times a day. Boy, did I get a lot of yuck out of my sinuses. After a month or so, I dropped down to twice a day and then once a day.
If I should happen to not use it, I do get a sinus infection. The rinse keeps your sinuses washed out, hydrated (my nosebleeds came to a stop because sinuses not so dry), and I feel better. We live in a humid state with no AC. When I go into businesses ith AC or homes, my sinuses start to act up. I urge you to try the rinse. Practice, patience, and getting past a possible gag reflex is key. Here's the web addy; www.neilmed.com I no longer use Vaseline in my nose. It is a petroleum product designed as a water barrier and not a moisturizer. I want moisture in my nose not a petroleum product. I wil be checking out the Naso Gel just in case I should need it. I also take a OTC allergy/sinus tablet every day which helps. It is only about 10 mg. so not bad. We use a humidifier only in the winter due to our humid warm months. Hope this helps.