Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need to get a smart phone

Whatever you go with, don't let the salesperson influence you too much. The first smart phone I went with was some android phone and I couldn't even figure out how to punch in new phone numbers. Took it back and got an apple. Love my apple.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynB View Post
    I switched to Consumer Cellular. No contract, use my iPhones, and DH shares me plan for $10 extra. Together it's less than the cost of just his AT&T plan. Like that I can change the plan when I get close to using my minutes. They warn me when I'm close but it's only when we're on vacation that we have a data problem. I believe they share AT&T towers. Check out the coverage maps for each using talk and data maps. I chose iPhones because my kids hand me down their old phones. They like having the latest gadgets and can teach me to use the older models. I also get an AARP discount.
    I use Consumer Cellular as well. I haven't had any problems with the service. Customer Service has been fine, and the AARP discount just about pays for the AARP membership for a year.

I have been a Motorola user for years, we have had many different models. We've never had any problems with any of them. Walmart and Sam's Club sell phones and usually have better deal than the Verizon stores. At Walmart or Sam's you buy the phone at a discount because you are buying the phone and signing a contract. If you do that you only pay the sales tax on the discount price of the phone. We got our phones for 99 cents. If you go to a Verizon type phone store and buy the same phone and contact, they charge you sales tax on the original retail value of the phone which could be several hundred dollars. We found that out a few years ago and will never buy a phone from a Verizon type store.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I LOVE it! The screen is pretty invisible if you are outside with polarized sunglasses on, but aren't they all? Anyway, I love the size of the memory (room for lots of apps,) the size of the phone (not tiny, but small enough to tuck into the outside pocket of a purse,) and its relatively intuitive design (both the hardware and software.)

I think the reception has more to do with your carrier's coverage than the phone, but I am not totally certain that the phone doesn't play a part.

I am an AT&T customer and I really appreciate how the staff in the stores will help you if you have a problem, even long after you have purchased the phone. Maybe all the carriers have similarly helpful staffs, but they DO NOT have identical coverage. If you need to use your phone in rural areas or know your home gets iffy reception, best to compare coverages before deciding which carrier to go with.

Good luck!
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Dunster,
    How much are the surcharges and taxes on that? Do you buy your phone from them?
    Thanks, Linda

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

When you switch from a flip phone to a 'smart' phone be sure you can use the functions that are not smart phone bells and whistles, like making and answering actual phone calls and sending texts. Those touch screen "buttons" are hard to use for some folks with old fat fingers (ask me how I know). Also you answer a flip phone by flipping it open... on my smart phone I need to dig it out of my purse, swipe it, read a name in the glare and then talk and its harder to hear too. On the other hand, it does tell me where to go. Sometimes I return the favor in somewhat less ladylike language.

Blog Entries
    Do not get a "Lumia" windows phone! Everyone I know who were stupid like that, including me, returned them within a month! I do like my iPhone 5c. Easy learning curve.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by linhawk View Post
    Dunster,
    How much are the surcharges and taxes on that? Do you buy your phone from them?
    Thanks, Linda
    You can buy the phone through Republic Wireless, or use their link to go to the Motorola site. Republic has a chip added to the phone that enables their software to use WiFi seamlessly. I don't know how much the surcharges will be, haven't received a bill yet!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I don't know how much the surcharges will be, haven't received a bill yet!
    I have the same phone and same plan, my monthly bill runs around $13. As you can see, some of these taxes are local/state, so your bill may vary.

Name:  republic.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  57.8 KB

I was so happy with my phone, I purchased a second phone for my 14 yr old son. Got a good price via a promotion through Republic, paid less than $130 for a Moto G.

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for your input

Your comments have helped me more than the "professional" test results. I prefer use by real people in every day situations.

Now I have enough information to take with me when I go shopping.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linkd View Post
    When you switch from a flip phone to a 'smart' phone be sure you can use the functions that are not smart phone bells and whistles, like making and answering actual phone calls and sending texts. Those touch screen "buttons" are hard to use for some folks with old fat fingers (ask me how I know). Also you answer a flip phone by flipping it open... on my smart phone I need to dig it out of my purse, swipe it, read a name in the glare and then talk and its harder to hear too. On the other hand, it does tell me where to go. Sometimes I return the favor in somewhat less ladylike language.
    You have a good point. My DH says he has a great little computer, but as a cell phone it stinks! (paraphrased)

iPhone. iPhone. iPhone. You cannot beat Apple for ease of use and reliability. Go to Best Buy. Ask if they have any phones "out of the box." They will sell you an "out of the box" phone at a greatly reduced price.

Prepare to pay extra for the data function on smart phones. On ATT it is $30/month. For me, worth it because my phone is used for business too. Really understand why you want a smart phone. And the costs involved. Tho, once you are hooked, and you will be, you can not go back! Lol! Love mine.

Somewhere on QB there is a thread regarding fav features and apps that people love.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I resisted getting a smart phone for a long time, but I just got a Moto X (2nd Generation) and I'm using the Republic Wireless carrier service because of the price. This company was recommended to me by a realtor who uses her phone all the time while showing clients around. Check them out - https://republicwireless.com/plans/

I'm very happy with the phone and the service so far, and I'm only paying $10/month for unlimited calls and text. I also get unlimited data if I have WiFi access and can upgrade the service if necessary at a reasonable cost. And there's no contract!!!

I bought the same phone through Consumer Cellular last Xmas. They have fantastic customer service. I can now take pictures and e-mail them to my home computer. My bill is $18.00/mo. You can see the phones at Sears.

My DH and I have had IPhones since IPhone 3. Back then At&T had unlimited data and media plan. I put unlimited on three phones when I was offered a special plan during a promotion. I remember my friends said I was nuts to sign up for phone plan that was a two year contract. My plan is grandfathered in and they are the ones that are paying triple what we are now.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I find the latest galaxy quite larege enough. Mine is called a phablet because it is half way between the phone and the tablet and I use it before anything else. It also comes with a built - in stylus.

Blog Entries
    I have Verizon also and have found if you call or do a live chat they will work with you more than at the local level. I am also going to be upgrading my LG flip phone soon only because it is not good for sending texts. It chooses what words I want ad is a pain to correct. I get laughed at constantly as to what my messages say even after I proof read it.

I LOVE my Apple IPhone 5S. Rest of family have IPhone 6 and love them. We have had great service with Sprint and DH has Verizon. I am not sure how to use everything on it but my kids can teach me.
    I can reach my kids and DH by texting (I really don't like texting, but it is almost a necessity in my family.)
    I have FREE weather apps and Free gas buddy (cheapest prices for gas locally), A FREE map app so I don't get lost (kids work this one), and I can take and send pictures of the grandkids.

I would like a smart phone or something more up to speed than the clam shell phone we have but hubby is happy with this phone and I'm the one who has to figure things out on the computer or the phones. I think now he can find the contacts on the cell and home phones--LOL.

Once you use a smart phone you won't believe what it can do to help you. GPS, address and telephone of place, weather, traffic, notifications, instant in touch with text, you can do Facebook, email, anything online. Watch movies, youtube, listen to radio programs you like anytime. The apps must be in the millions by now. There is an app for anything. DH had to change the clutch on his lawn tractor and used an app to watch a video of step by step of how it was done. He saved hundreds doing it himself. A smart phone is really amazing and sometimes unbelievable to an old lady like me. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Onebyone, I agree. I am not a youngster by any means but the smart phone I have has made my life easier and more enjoyable. I don't need my GPS, don't have a paper address book or calendar (I am backed up to the cloud, and to my iMac and iPad, so I don't think I will ever really lose any of it) When we travel I don't miss any email, texts, or anything. For folks who say their fingers are too fat, you don't use your entire finger tip, just a light touch. I have big hands and haven't had any problems. I can see the grandkids on FaceTime and I follow them on Instagram just to see what's up. Folks don't have to use Facebook or Instagram or Twitter. It is not required. But, it really helps me stay connected as much as I want. Plus, don't forget downloading books for free from the library through the Overdrive App. I think these will all work on phones that are not iPhones, except for FaceTime. Best invention ever. I would give up my dishwasher to keep my iPhone.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of your input. I decided on an iPhone 6. I wanted the larger on for readibility, but the size was not practical for me.

I appreciate every message as each was valuable to my decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2