Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help with a fussy cutting >

Need help with a fussy cutting

Need help with a fussy cutting

Old 09-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Default Need help with a fussy cutting

Just can't figure this one out...
I want to put a zipper (for a top closing purse) into a piece of fabric that has a large pattern. I want to fussy cut it so that the zipper looks like it was just set in (or on) and so that it doesn't distort the pattern as would happen it I just cut the piece in half and set in the zipper. The directions say to cut two pieces for the zipper 2.5 by 14 each but if I cut it from a 5 by 14 piece, I think there will be a lot "missing" from the center when I try to sew it together with the zipper. I thought of overlapping the pattern but not sure how much or if that would work either. Does anyone have experience with this or any tips to offer to get this right? I think if I don't match it up correctly it will look strange. Or should I just stop being so AR?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I think you need to overlap the pattern by the amount of the seam allowance (doubled). For example, if you are sewing with 1/2" seam allowances, each side of the zipper will require 1/2" of the pattern that will not show when you are finished. You would cut one 2.5 by 14" piece for one side of the zipper, then overlap the pattern by 1" in order to cut out the second piece. You would need to mark these pieces so that you actually sew the correct piece to each side of the zipper.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Thank you, Prism. That seems very clear. I'll have to try it using some "ugly" fabric as I still can't see it in my head. I appreciate that you replied!