Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need Help with Tied Fleece Throw Construction >

Need Help with Tied Fleece Throw Construction

Need Help with Tied Fleece Throw Construction

Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 AM

Default Need Help with Tied Fleece Throw Construction

I made and donated a quilt for my school's fundraiser, and our Athletic Director (long time friend & colleague who now considers me "a sewing expert" poor guy!) asked for my help with 4 basketball themed, tied fleece quilt throws he purchased for his 4 senior girls on his varsity basketball team. He thought he was purchasing finished throws (now understands why it's called a kit! Lol) My question is what is the best way to stay stitch the 2 layers together? Should I do 3 vertical seams- down the middle, then in the middle of the 2 halves? One vertical and on horizontal seam making a plus sign? Also should I sew the 2 layers together around the outside edges just above the cuts to create the ties? Is a square knot the best way to tie it or is there another knot that works better? I know he wants these to last - he wants them to take the throws to college with them. Thanks for any help- 4 of the same thing-yikes!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I would do no sewing. After cutting your fringe make a small cut just above each fringe and push both fringe tails through this hole and pull them all the way through. The fringe tails will not pull out when washed. Stays better than tying. Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:13 AM

We made the tied throws in VBS one year. They are simply tied twice, a square knot is good. You don't have to quilt them, the fleece grabs each other and holds tight. Just be sure to get them evenly together before you start to knot.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

No sewing is required. Just line up the 2 pieces and double knot the fringes.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:40 AM

Personally, I think they look nice when you sew them together about three to four inches or so in from the edges, and then cut fringe around the edges. It's a nice, clean look. From what I've seen of the fleece blankets donated to our chapter of Project Linus, they don't really need to be quilted through the middle.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:53 PM

Thanks so much for the help and advice! Watched a YouTube video on cutting the small hole at the top of the fringe strips & putting the strips through the hole and pulling it snug. I'm going to try this, I like the idea of minimizing the knot size to keep the edges not quite so bulky.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:22 AM

I have just sewn a big"X" . It keeps it from shifting when using.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 AM

There is also a way to tie that looks braided. Found it. I personally like this style - http://www.piecesbypolly.com/2011/11/double-layered-no-sew-braided-fleece.html

This one too! -
http://www.adventuresofadiymom.com/2...anket.html?m=1

Last edited by AZ Jane; 02-01-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM

fleece throw blankets--why bother with the ties? Just anchor the two layers, useawalking zigzag stich and sew two rows(presserfootapart up 4 inches fromthe edges(also cut out 4inch squares on each corner. after stitching the twolayers together, just cut a frindge 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart all around the edges. It will lay flat and the walking zigzag stitch will give it extra "give" too. Have fun! I make these for shut-ins, homeless and sick people. Easy and fun!
Marilyn
Old 02-02-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Thanks so much for the help and advice! Watched a YouTube video on cutting the small hole at the top of the fringe strips & putting the strips through the hole and pulling it snug. I'm going to try this, I like the idea of minimizing the knot size to keep the edges not quite so bulky.
What did you google to get this video? Thanks