Need new dishwasher

Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Maytag (6 yrs old) doing ok but I HATE keeping the stainless steel exterior presentable. Never stainless steel again - ever, never. It has silverware bins hooked onto racks and I prefer them in the door but my dishes are clean & I always buy good quality detergent. I think it makes a difference.
First dw was a white Kitchen Aid and that old girl was about 35 years old when it gave up. Never a minute of problem. My MIL had KA for many years too.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I had two dishwashers before they movef out. Now my Husband does the dishes. Washed, dried and put away very shortly after we are done eating.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:38 PM

I’ll keep the one I have. 44 years and still going good. He has dishes done in minutes and is quiet too. Sorry, no recommendations for you.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 PM

Ours is noisy, too. We run it when we go to bed. No problem.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

All newer dishwashers have a food grinder and you certainly need a water heater built in. No one keeps their water heated to the proper temp for the dishwasher to do it's job right. Also as soon as the heat cycle is finished check your dishes. They should be almost too hot to touch. This is very important if illness is in the house. No hand washing can come close to sanitizing unless boiling water is poured over the dishes. Boiling water and even fire was most always used to sanitize dishes when washed by hand but no one does that anymore.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:50 AM

We had a mid-range KitchenAid that was horrible. Our old Kenmore machine lasted quite a long time. I forget what brand we have currently - just replaced in the last couple of years - and I'm very happy with it. Quiet and does a good job. But yes, they all take much longer now than in years past.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 AM

I have an LG. It was in the house when I bought it so I don't know how old it is. It is super quiet. The first time I ran it, I didn't think it was working. I run it on the quick cycle and have no problems with dishes coming out clean. The quick cycle is 1 hour and 19 minutes. I would recommend an LG in a minute.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 AM

Default Miele Dishwasher

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
After 17 yrs of use, (Kenmore from Sears) our dishwasher has bit the dust. Any "buy" or "don't buy" recommends? TIA
I have a Miele dishwasher about 10 years old that really cleans and you can't hear it run. But, it has one big problem. We live at the farm in the summer, so we will be gone for 4 to 6 weeks, when we come home, it doesn't work. It was made in Germany and they put an intake water value on it so if the water would start leaking, it would shut off the dishwasher. Since we turn the water off when we leave it thinks something is wrong, so it shuts the value off. Then we have to replace it for about $200 if my husband does it. We have an old Maytag at the farm, works every time. I think the Maytag cost about $400 and the Miele was close to $2,000. So, if you go on a lot of vacation, be sure to ask it the dishwasher has a "Intake water value". If it does, run.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 AM

I just bought a new Whirlpool but it hasn't been delivered yet. I always had good luck with the Whirlpools. We just bought a new house and the dishwasher must have been the original one installed. It's noisy (you couldn't hear it thunder it's so bad) and I don't think the heated dry works. Dishes are still wet when I go to unload it.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:01 AM

I have a Whirlpool and love it. Replaced a Bosch with it. I found that the Bosch was, indeed quiet but that it did not clean well, had no heated drying cycle, only used the temp of the inside after last hot water rinse. I am used to a drying cycle and do not care for a dishwasher that does not have one. After a period of time, it started smelling like mold and the dishes did not dry completely. As I am allergic to mold, it had to go.