Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
need solutions for chair coasters >

need solutions for chair coasters

need solutions for chair coasters

Old 08-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Default need solutions for chair coasters

We have wood look laminate throughout the living part of the house and we have to use some type of cap or coaster on the dining room chairs to keep from scraping the floor. Our chairs have turned legs (decorative) and the legs angle from the seat--so the legs are at an angle to the floor too.

We've tried those stick on felt coasters which work well, but eventually come unstuck and also wear down on the angle side. (plus we always seems to get dog hair stuck to them). I've tried those stick on hard plastic coasters but they come unstuck and seem to not slide as well. We've tried those "as seen on tv" ones that are clear plastic with built in felt pads that are suppose to slide and cling to the chair legs but they don't fit well on the chair legs--big size too big and falls off and smaller one splits and falls off!

So I'm all ears on any idea that would solve this more permanently and protect my floors! Help!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I have rugs (about 9x12') under the dining room and nook tables. They protect the floors and are still easy to vacuum. This solution might not work if there are a lot of spills. My chairs are on wheels, and they slide well on the rugs.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 AM

area rugs under dining area.....spills or no spills.....only way I have found to save the floor under so many movable chairs
Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 AM

I think there some coasters that nail into the bottom of the chair leg and the pad part swivels to sit flat on the floor.
Area rugs are also a good answer.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

When I got a new floor, years ago, I bought teflon slides/coasters that you put on the bottom of the chairs, tables etc. They allow the furniture to slide.

The trick for any of the coasters, felt, teflon or WHY .... is to clean them off regularly.
Turn the chair over, and wipe or wash or vacuum.
It is the crud that collects in/on them that is your biggest offender.

2nd trick .... change them as they wear.
Nothing lasts forever!!
Old 08-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

They don't look the best but the school cuts a slit in tennis balls and puts them on all the chair legs to protect the floors. Maybe you could dye them to match the chairs?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:40 PM

I have the same issues with my heavy duty kitchen chairs and laminate floors. We use the felt stick on type, but DH glues them on so they don't come off so fast. We have to replace every six months or so, but I've not found anything else that works better. Let us know if you find something that works better!!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:51 PM

I've seen some plastic circles that are berber type carpet on the floor side. They seemed very sturdy. There is a lip around the plastic side to keep the chair leg in place.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 PM

The ones that came with my furniture are sticky cork discs, they have been on my dining room furniture for two years now and still going strong. If you can't get them in US you could buy cork drinks coasters cut them to size and attach with gorilla glue.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:13 AM

Amazon has some cute and pretty "chair protectors"