Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need some help with fabric bowls.

Need some help with fabric bowls.

This past week I made a few fabric bowls, but don't know how to finish them off nicely, I always seems to end up with a lump along the top edge. I was hoping someone with more experience would suggest how I can improve this, so it looks like I know what I'm doing....

I cut my strips 1.25 inches wide, wrap each strip as I go around cloth clothesline, then tuck in my nwe stip under the end of the previous strip and carry on zigzagging them to each other, when I want to make a curved edge, I just hold the bowl up perpendicular to my sewing machine for a couple of rows. When I get to where I want to stop adding more strips - I'm not sure how to do this next step.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bowls I made this last week. Thanking you in advance for any help you can provide.
    Name:  P1010875  Fabric Bowls Nov 2014.JPG
Views: 1605
Size:  140.8 KBName:  P1010876  Fabric Bowls  2nd Pic - Nov 2014.JPG
Views: 1537
Size:  222.9 KB
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Power Poster
    When I want to end, I cut the cord at an angle so it isn't so blunt. I also continue to roll out my fabric about 6 inches past the clothesline end so it is a gradual decrease and zig zag it along the bowl top. Nice bowls and you can add a fabric accent like a rose or bow to hide the end also. If you search for clothesline bowl pictures you can see some samples on QB.

There are several ways I like to end my bowls. One way is to make a small medallion (like the center) and have it spin off down the side. I tack it in place. My favorite way is to tack the end and make small arcs with the rope tacking evenly around the top. The arcs don't always lie evenly around the top so be sure to pin first then tack the side of the rope that lays down. I have even made tops for my bowls. By making a large flat disc and straight not curved sides.

Name:  129 copy.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  784.5 KBName:  118 copy.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  1.10 MBName:  121 copy.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  1.25 MBName:  122 copy.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  1.44 MBName:  124 copy.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  873.3 KBName:  126 copy.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  853.3 KBName:  127 copy.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  730.1 KB

Hope these are clear enough to suggest a few ideas. My finishing changes every year. All the best.

What gorgeous bowls and the addition of the ornamentation is "icing on the cake"
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I bookmarked this awhile ago & think it may be what you're looking for!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t176103.html

[QUOTE=jitkaau

Hope these are clear enough to suggest a few ideas. My finishing changes every year. All the best.[/QUOTE]

Those bowls are beautiful. How did you get the diagonal lines on the coil? do you zig zag the raw edge of you strip?

Oh my those bowls are beautiful....just bought that winder from ami Simms...did you zigzag one edge of all your strips first...clever idea! Saving these pics for inspiration!

Those ARE nice! I think maybe those edges are serged first? Makes for a lovely texture, whatever the technique is.

Wow, I love your bowls.

Jitkaau...your bowls are fabulous!! how do you get the appliques on them? How do you get that "texture" stitching look? Are you joining the strips with some kind of zigzag or serging?
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!