Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need suggestions for creating a blog >

Need suggestions for creating a blog

Need suggestions for creating a blog

Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM

I have a blog on Blogger. It is not fancy as I am not that designer literate. I like my blogger because I also have an Etsy account and I have my blog linked to my Etsy. It's not that hard, I just did mine bit by bit over a few months. I am sure you will design your's very quickly. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Very interesting subject. I have pathetic computer skills but applaud you all for taking steps out into the blogasphere.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM

If you had it to do over would you have gotten the "studio" again or would you have gotten the "Go"? I have been contemplating the difference and wondered if I could cut 10 layers with the Go dies if I had the studio. I am thinking that since it seems not then I will probably just get the Go. Cheaper it seems all the way around. Thanks again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 AM

I would still chose the studio. I don't have a need to travel with it so it's set up on it's own table with my dies underneath in my sewing room. I can store my laptop under the studio rails so I can still utilize the space for other things. What I wouldn't do again is buy certain dies. The studio dies are more expensive and heavier than the GO's so you may consider that.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 AM

I, too, use Google blogger and like it.

Wordpress looks nice...if I wanted to switch I would definitely check it out.

Maybe your choice should depend on what you wish to accomplish with it. Socializing or promoting, or a combo? Some blogs may be better for one thing or the other....
Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by dmyers
Hi Cindy,
I use Goggle Blogger, it's very easy to use especially if you have computer skills. I blog to keep a virtual diary for all my quilting adventures. I've been quilting for 14 yrs but just these past 3 years have taken it more seriously. I like that I can upload pics and share small tidbits of what was going through my head. Then the next best thing is meeting or connecting to people I would never have met in person. I love comments and followers, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if no one reads it or leaves comments.
I started a blog just for that reason too. Haven't been real faitful with daily/weekly postings but am trying to get better.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:12 AM

I am forever grateful for your wonderful info - I have been working on educating myself on the world of blogging for serveral interests of my life. To think I accidently stubbled on this topic is magic. You have just expanded my life.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: remove business name from post
Old 10-29-2011, 05:55 AM
Banned

I actually have three blogs.

One is just for my eyes only to gather information and links etc as a central location that is easy for me to find. It is for the quilting classes I want to start teaching here at the studio.

The other one is the for anyone and is quilt related.

Then I have one on my web site - but don't keep that one updated as much as the blogspot ones are easier to add things to and change around.

I'm thinking of creating another one for our family to use as a central place to post news, photos and such as we prepare for our next family reunion in 2 1/2 years..... DH and I are in charge of that reunion and it would make a great central place for information. Hummmm I think I have some work to do! :thumbup:

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: remove business name from post
Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Wherever you blog, please use an easy-to-read font and size. Some sites use fancy fonts (or too small) which makes it hard to read. Or the background is much too busy!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 AM

I think a lot of people start with Blogger because it is the easiest to use and it is free (mine is there and it's just to journal what I'm working on). I have seen a lot of dedicated bloggers switch to Typepad because it is apparently more flexible and robust as to its applications, but you have to be way more computer savvy.

I don't know much about Typepad, but here is a site for a long-armer and home-shop owner that has switched:
http://donnasintheattic.typepad.com/

Right now her blogging is about her new workshop and classes that she has started, but typically it is about customer quilts and shows beautiful quilting ... scroll down to see (and be sure to click on Customer Quilts in her Categories section on her sidebar). Maybe you can get some ideas there - her close-up photos are great.

Kathy T.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: remove business name from post