Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua >

New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua

New Baby.... Teacup Chihuahua

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM

o how tiny!! i luv that he just sits in the teacup...perfect pic
Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

put a bell on his collar!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 AM

I love ankle biters,so cute.Connie in CO
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I used to breed toy/teacup poodles. 26 plus years of raising/breeding. Had to give it up several years ago due to my own health problems. I currently have one that is 17 years 4 month sold, male.

First & foremost...NO mauling by kids. They often tend to squeeze/hold them to tight, drop them, etc. If kids want to hold then make the kid set ont he floor. Your baby needs lots of rest, so he/she can grow properly. Soft fleece blankets are a great comfortable place for them to lay or a tiny dog bed. If properly raised your baby won't be a nervous wreck or aggressive.

A few things thing I always told new owners:

Do NOT make the dog jump up in the air to grab toys from your hand. This causes knee and/or back damage. Their little bones are fragile & can't take jumping off furniture/high steps/decks/etc, or high in the air. They will, but shouldn't be permitted to.

NO I repeat...NO human food unless your vet OK's it. A good quality dog food is a must to keep them healthy. Pups need to eat 3-4 times a day. Once they reach mature age, about 1 year, then 1-2 times a day. Mine eat 1 time a day. I never let food set on the floor. We give specific amount of food & time to feed. Dishes are taken up after. The last thing you want a tinie to do is get overweight. It will destroy their knees & back. Dog treats are NOT necessary or in my opinion good for them. Shoving treats in their mouth just teaches them to eat, eat, eat.

Most tinies can't handle cold weather, so clothing is a must. Also heat/hot sun is hard on them too, so don't let them stuck in the sun/heat for long periods. Always have fresh water available.

Crate training....gives them a place to feel safe. In an emergency you can tell them to go to crate, shut the door & grab & go. I use folded towels or fake sheep skin to line the bottom. A crate should NEVER be used as punishment. Phrase the pup for using the crate. Make it fun, add toys, etc.

Get pup used to riding in the car. Some pups/dogs will get car sick. There are meds for this via your vet. Carry baby wipes or paper towels to clean any accidents. They should always be in a crate, in the back seat, when traveling in a car. Seatbelt the crate in place if you can. This is for safety. If you have to slam on your breaks or get hit they will go flying, if not in a crate, & can break their neck.

Another thing I always did was get pups used to be touched all over. Gently rub all 4 feet(NEVER grab at their feet even in play), gently rub gums/teeth with your finger, tail, tummy, ears, nose, etc. Every part of the pup. This will make it easier on you & the pup when grooming or trips to the vet are required.

Have the dogs teeth cleaned every 6 months or at least once per year once they reach adulthood. If they get bad teeth it can & does lead to heart disease. Tinies tend to loose bottom front teeth of not kept plaque free. They have tiny ended toothbrushes & toothpaste you can get at pet stores too. Dog toothbrushes are different than human. They are super soft, so human ones are not good to use & NEVER use human toothpaste.

Talk to them, include them in your daily activities. Phrase goes a long way. Yelling will only make a nervous dog.

Training to stay, sit, come, should all be done with phrase. You don't have to give food rewards.

Potty training can take longer with tinies. Be patient. Take pup out every 1-2 hours & always to the same spot. Always as soon as they wake, right after play & last thing before bed.

A bell on the collar helps you know when he/she is.

Tinies can be hard to deal with medically. Most medications are for 10 pound dogs & up, so vets have to drag out the books & calculators to determine how to dose them. Make sure you have emergency numbers on hand & a good repor with your vet.

Tinies can live a long time, like mine, if given lots of TLC & love.

Good luck with your little cutie :).
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM

He would look so nice next to my Great Dane!!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by fayza
Meet Julio!!! We are in love. If anybody can lend any knowledge about teacup chihuahua's please feel free. He's our very first house pet :)
Put a bell on his collar so you wont step on him. :lol:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM

This is all great advice!!! I would add to be sure that nothing can fall over onto your little baby. A fireplace screen fell on mine and broke her leg right above the knee. since the leg bone was the size of a yellow pencil only a special vet $$$$$ could fix it. It required 3 tiny pins. She is good as new though.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM

I have a longhaired chi, 6 lbs. and a chi-pom 10 lbs. The red one in my avatar is Foxy6 lbs 6 yo. He is a couch potato, very laid back, typical long haired chi, loves everyone, kids most of all. He comes and licks the back of my leg when he wants out, barks to come back in and waits for his goodie. has his own bed on our king size, as does Bear. They have steps to go up and down on the bed. Bear is the opposite, 11 yo and full of energy, where ever I am you will find Bear snoozing away next to my feet. My vet says to keep hard food in a bowl at all times as these little fellows get hungry and like to nibble. Neither is overweight. But grab a bite as they go by and lay down and eat it. Too hard for them to go 8-10 hours without food. They have never been to the vet for other than shots. Now I give them most of their shots myself. Wonderful breed and great little watchdogs too.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Julio is a doll baby. So sweet.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM

He's so cute.