Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New hobby - making soap!

New hobby - making soap!

Hi all

I have spent the last week, reading, watching videos and talking to friends about making my own hand soap. I have not been able to buy a soap that I am totally happy with. Tomorrow is the day I get started. I am going to keep it very basic at first. I know about lye - I will wear 'protection' and be very careful... I have found the website SoapCalc and plan on using it!

Anybody out there making soap? Any advice?

Thanks.
    Trish

Are you ready for another addictive hobby??? I have such a stockpile that I had to stop making more. One thing that I learned was to never soap when I was tired, sick or distracted and do not rush. It helps to prevent a disaster.

Take a deep breath, exhale slowly and enjoy the process. Good luck!
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

A friend of mine has started making soap. I have no idea the ingredients she uses but I'm sure it all natural stuff and she is using oils in hers for the smell. She is really enthused..............I don't know when she is going to find time to quilt. She is past 70 but that woman goes like the pink bunny on tv commercials.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Hello. I'm a new quilter (brand new to this forum) but long-time soapmaker. I started making it because I'm vegetarian and allergic to synthetic fragrances. I couldn't find soaps that didn't have animal ingredients or synthetic fragrances or that didn't dry my skin out or give me rashes. After developing my own formula that works for me, my skin has never felt better. I have an official soap business and sell it on-line, farmers' markets and craft shows.

Have fun, take good notes for each batch, and prepare to become addicted to dreaming up new formulas, scent blends, color combinations, etc. It really is addictive.

Blog Entries
    My daughter-in-law makes soap and sells it at flea markets. She's a "natural" gal and so are he soaps. She does make a few "flavors" that smell like market ones. My experience was need way back in the day.

Blog Entries
    We have the lye and the oils at about 100 degrees. They do need to be about the same before you put the two together. Have fun. We make it every year for Christmas gifts. Everyone looks forward to the soap and to see what fragrance or essential oils we put in it. Have fun!!

First batch in the molds! Only disaster was that i spilled the small container that I had the essential oil in. Bye bye lavender (and bye bye $$$). Otherwise it went well and I look forward to cutting it into bars tomorrow morning! Thanks for all your advice and comments.

Blog Entries
    My DD makes peppermint soap that I just love. So refreshing.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I took a class on it a few years back and loved it. I only made a couple of batches though. It is a really useful skill to know. I just didn’t stick with it, moved on. Have fun!
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

My Mom use to make her own laundry soap. She'd grate it up into a bucket and then use a scoop to add to the washer.

One day she had a small bucket of soap shavings sitting on the chair in the kitchen, and one of her SIL's walk in and said "wow - look at all those slivered almonds!" yup - he took a hand full and popped them in his mouth. Good thing he was right next to the sink.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Congratulations on your first batch of soap!!!! Waiting for those first batches to cure long enough to see how they turn out seems like forever! LOL!

Regarding have the oils and lye solution being the same temperature, that's an often repeated myth. I use steaming hot lye solution and room temperature oils. You can also use room temperature lye solution and either room temp or warm oils. There are a lot of ways to do it. It just depends on experience and knowing how the oils in your formula behave and whether or not you want to gel your soap or not. There are so many different options that I encourage new soapmakers to read about the different ones, try different ones and find what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Sprite View Post
    Congratulations on your first batch of soap!!!! Waiting for those first batches to cure long enough to see how they turn out seems like forever! LOL!

Regarding have the oils and lye solution being the same temperature, that's an often repeated myth. I use steaming hot lye solution and room temperature oils. You can also use room temperature lye solution and either room temp or warm oils. There are a lot of ways to do it. It just depends on experience and knowing how the oils in your formula behave and whether or not you want to gel your soap or not. There are so many different options that I encourage new soapmakers to read about the different ones, try different ones and find what works best for you.
    Good to know! The soap cut up nicely and is sitting on a rack waiting for the passage of time. It was fun - I can see myself 'over-making'!

he he he and we have another convert! Now the experimentation begins.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    All I need is another hobby. This sounds interesting . lol

Trisher, I'm excited for you. I make all my body care products and laundry detergent, cleaners etc but have never made soap. However, I only buy soap that's made by someone.
    I love using oils, butters, essential oils etc. It's a blast! Someday I want to make soap. Have fun!

Hooray, another soap maker
    I started making and exclusively using my own soaps 2 years ago.
    It is so much fun and very addictive.
    And it makes my sewing closet smell so good!
    One tip I have is to use fragrance oils in place of essential oils. They are more affordable and come in so many scents.

Soapmakingforum.com is a great board for inspiration and help in your soap making quest. (no affiliation)
    I'm JanelleTrebuna on there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JanelleTrebuna View Post
    Hooray, another soap maker
    I started making and exclusively using my own soaps 2 years ago.
    It is so much fun and very addictive.
    And it makes my sewing closet smell so good!
    One tip I have is to use fragrance oils in place of essential oils. They are more affordable and come in so many scents.

Soapmakingforum.com is a great board for inspiration and help in your soap making quest. (no affiliation)
    I'm JanelleTrebuna on there as well.
    Thanks! I will look up that forum ASAP!

I enjoy getting homemade soap. I haven’t made any but like buying from those that do.