Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • New homes have Cafe room..... >
  • New homes have Cafe room.....

• New homes have Cafe room.....

Old 01-04-2023, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44
    I've always wondered where people who have those cordless vacuums plug them in to charge,,,, they should have outlets inside a closet for that. not out in the living or dining room.
    When we were looking to buy our retirement home we looked at a lot of new builds. The new builds had less outlets per room then the older homes. Realtor said builders save money where ever they can. She said very few buyers think to check how many outlets are in the house and where they are and aren't. We bought an older home and had more outlets added. Electrician said a lot of his jobs were adding outlets to the new builds. LOL
    Old 01-04-2023, 09:26 AM

I've always wondered where people who have those cordless vacuums plug them in to charge,,,, they should have outlets inside a closet for that.
    I've often thought the same thing. My 100% completely uninformed guess is that maybe it's against code to have an outlet inside a closet?

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    We bought an older home and had more outlets added. Electrician said a lot of his jobs were adding outlets to the new builds.
    My piano teacher had every single outlet in her less-than-10-year-old house converted from a 2-gang to a 4-gang outlet. Meaning, she can plug 4 items into each outlet instead of 2. My house is 46 years old and I have often dreamed of having that done. 😆
    Old 01-04-2023, 10:25 AM
    Power Poster

My 100% completely uninformed guess is that maybe it's against code to have an outlet inside a closet?

I have an outlet in my pantry and walk in closet. There is one in each water heater closet and under the sink. I don't think there is any code to not have an outlet in a closet.
    Old 01-04-2023, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    My 100% completely uninformed guess is that maybe it's against code to have an outlet inside a closet?

I have an outlet in my pantry and walk in closet. There is one in each water heater closet and under the sink. I don't think there is any code to not have an outlet in a closet.
    Okay well then it's just builders not thinking about how to make homes run efficiently, lol.
    My neighbor bought her house as it was being built 40+ years ago. It's a 70's split level entry. All the bedrooms are upstairs, and the laundry room was supposed to be downstairs. She made the builder swap the laundry room with an upstairs bathroom. They thought she was nuts and pushed back, but she said with 3 kids, she did not want to run up and down stairs all day doing laundry, and they could either build it the way SHE wanted it, or they could sell it to someone else. It was obvious they hadn't even considered that.
    I was happy that my house is one level with the laundry room right next to the bedrooms, instead of out in the garage.
    Old 01-04-2023, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

My next door neighbors laundry room is on the second floor and they love it. It makes sense to me. Ours in on the main floor and I'm fine with it that way as well. Our first and second homes had the laundry room in the basement. Ugh!
    Old 01-05-2023, 06:10 AM

My son built his forever home and has a great master bedroom and walk in closet with plenty of shelves and hanging space. No need for dressers. And in put in a full sized washer dryer!
    Old 01-05-2023, 06:43 AM

Against code in a closet, you may be right. well then the laundry room if there is one would work for placing one's cordless vacuum cleaner I guess. I don't have one large enough, one has to squeeze by the washer and dryer on the way to the garage!
    Old 01-05-2023, 06:47 AM
    Power Poster

I've always wondered where people who have those cordless vacuums plug them in to charge,,,, they should have outlets inside a closet for that. not out in the living or dining room.
    I had the electrician put an outlet in a closet for that purpose. I could also use the laundry room on the main level.

those cafe rooms could be like a "keeping room" off a kitchen for a table or seating and TV.
    Old 01-05-2023, 07:00 AM

It definitely seems to be a way to have a space to eat but keeping it open to how it is set up depending on the needs of those that live there. A lot of people don’t eat at tables or have people over so formal dining rooms aren’t needed.

I live in a house over 100 years old. Gratefully the previous owner put in lots of outlets, I have plenty in my sewing studio which conveniently is next door to the laundry room. I cook regularly and am glad to have a good-sized kitchen and not a pass-through to heat up food.

The cafe rooms set up with bookcases and seating look nice.