Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A new ironing board!

Blog Entries
    My ironing board died. The legs wouldn't stay up. I think it was used to begin with. I found an old wooden one in great shape at the thrift store and LOVE IT. About the same time I found 2 in the trash. one is made from some kind of metal mesh, the other is metal with big holes - magnets stick to them or you can hook things on them, build them out a little with a 2x4 and slide rulers behind them.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I'm using my grandmother's wooden ironing board, which is alittle wider than a reg ironing board. I'd love to have a quilter's ironing board made to fit over it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I got mine at Costco, maybe 8-9 years ago. It's holding up fine, and I think I paid in the $35 range for it. It's a little wider than my old board, but I would like it to be wider still. And rectangular! Who needs that narrow end anyway? It's just annoying. I quit ironing clothing a very long time ago!
    It's not that hard to make your ironing board rectangle. Use your board some plywood (hubby made 2 big boards with one sheet of plywood), strips of wood, batting and fabric. Now if I can fins the pictures!! Lay your ironing board on the plywood, draw shape of ironing board onto plywood, cut wood strips and apply (hubby used screws) just outside of drawn lines, cover finished board with batting and fabric (I used the staple gun). I have this one dedicated to quilting but you could take the big board off and still use for clothes ironing if needed.
    Name:  a 044.JPG
Views: 2957
Size:  548.9 KBName:  a 046.JPG
Views: 2716
Size:  675.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I got mine at Costco, maybe 8-9 years ago. It's holding up fine, and I think I paid in the $35 range for it. It's a little wider than my old board, but I would like it to be wider still. And rectangular! Who needs that narrow end anyway? It's just annoying. I quit ironing clothing a very long time ago!
    It's not that hard to make your ironing board rectangle. Use your board some plywood (hubby made 2 big boards with one sheet of plywood), strips of wood, batting and fabric. Now if I can fins the pictures!! Lay your ironing board on the plywood, draw shape of ironing board onto plywood, cut wood strips and apply (hubby used screws) just outside of drawn lines, cover finished board with batting and fabric (I used the staple gun). I have this one dedicated to quilting but you could take the big board off and still use for clothes ironing if needed.
    Name:  a 044.JPG
Views: 2957
Size:  548.9 KBName:  a 046.JPG
Views: 2716
Size:  675.1 KB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I have a 2 shelf metal unit with 2ft X6ft board across the top. Stapled a couple layers of batting on and covered it with a teflon (?) fabric. I hope it holds up a long time. I have replaced the top twice and finally decided on that shiny teflon to see how it takes the heat

Blog Entries
    When I bought mine 8 years ago at Wallyworld, I bought what I could afford. When I finally reached breaking point, and I refused to iron anything else on "the wobbler". We happen to be at St. Vincent de Paul, and they had an expensive one for $10. "Steady Freddie" is my new best friend. I did have to "fake it" with a makeshift cover untill I figure out where they sell Ironing board covers with a blunted end. Anybody know where to buy them?
    Last edited by madamekelly; 08-15-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Onebyone - I saw that, and thought it would be great - but couldn't budget for it.
    Quilting in the Desert

Even my single son bought an ironing board to iron his shirts for work! I am so proud of him! Mine is about 40 years old and still is in fine shape!

Blog Entries
    This is what I did with an old collapsed ironing board. We had to bend some metal to get the legs off but it only took a few minutes. If it gets too bent hammer it back down and cover it with duct tape.
    Name:  ironing board 003.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  130.9 KB
    We used 2x3s to hold it on the wall so it sticks out and has a bottom to catch the rulers. Rulers that are too short go on the hook.
    The pretty things across the top are old earrings glued to magnets.
    The hooks are shower hooks - the kind with the big ball on the back - peg board hooks don't work as nice.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2