Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Non-quilting question

  1. #1
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Since ya'll are such a wonderful source of information, does anybody know how to patch jeans? My DD is really rough on her pants. I bought iron-on patches from Walmart. They don't stay on. I haven't even washed them yet and they are already peeling off. How can I get them to stay on?

  2. #2
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    I gave up on iron-ons years ago. I use ond jeans to cut patches and sew them on. If I can, I will use the machine, but generally end up doing it by hand.

  3. #3
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I used to iron them on and then stitch whenever possible. If it's a place you can't reach I don't know what to tell you!

  4. #4
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,193
    I do jean on jean as well. I open the pant leg to do it, and I stitch that baby down good, then sew the leg back up.

  5. #5
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,045
    I always iron them on and them stitch them all around the outside.

  6. #6
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    I wanted to stitch them on too, but the leg is too narrow. I'd have to take them apart to do that, but I'm not confident enough that I'd be able to get them back together. Then she'd be pantsless, considering jeans are all she'll wear.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    With boys, I found that as soon as I bought a pair of jeans, I would wash them, sew on a patch of old, well washed jeans material. With the added protection inside, these jeans lasted far longer than others.

  8. #8
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,168
    Blog Entries
    1
    just like fusable applique you still have to stitch them down after fusing them. press the iron on patch over the hole very well, it takes a HOT iron. then let it cool completely and stitch a zig-zag stitch around the patch. you can also put appliques over the hole, use the iron on patch on the inside and an applique of some sort on the outside. double the thickness then and hopefully will hold up a little longer.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,288
    I open up the leg as well in order to iron on then stitch on the patch...Ironing it on eliminates the need to pin! It's really not difficult to put the leg back together as long as you take out the inseam, which is a regular seam and not felled seam like the outer seam is.

  10. #10
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Ok, you guys have convinced me to try taking the inseam out. Worst case scenario is I can't get them back together. They're not wearable the way they are anyway.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,053
    This won't help with your current jeans but, reminded me that when my DGS was little, Sears used to guarantee their jeans wouldn't get holes in the knees. If they did you could return them for a new pair. It had a certain time frame, which I don't remeber. Might be worth checking into , especially for those kids who are hard on their jeans.

  12. #12
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    This won't help with your current jeans but, reminded me that when my DGS was little, Sears used to guarantee their jeans wouldn't get holes in the knees. If they did you could return them for a new pair. It had a certain time frame, which I don't remeber. Might be worth checking into , especially for those kids who are hard on their jeans.
    I was just telling my dh about this. Do you remember what it was called?

  13. #13
    Super Member Shelbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,945
    I seem to be patching jeans constantly. I keep a bag of patches of every colour of denim. I cut the patch about a half inch larger than the hole, round the corners and applique it right over the hole using a fairly dense zig-zag in a matching thread. My patches are often round or oval and they seem to wear well. Patching on top lasts longer and looks better than trying to put the patch underneath. I have the older Bernina 830 and it has an open arm which means you don't have to open any seams. My husband spilt battery acid down the leg of his brand new jeans leaving quarter sized holes. I patched every one (9 I think) and the lady at the bank told him someone must really love him to take the time to patch all those holes!

  14. #14
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Clover Embroidery Stitching Tool Glue - It will hold forever. I put a layer on a patch and glue from underneath the hole. The glue holds all the loose strings in place. It dries clear and not stiff.

  15. #15
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    Shopko used to do that too, not sure if they do anymore? I am always repairing DS's jeans, works in a mechanic shop, so he doesnt like buying new jeans, I just use old jeans and hand sew.

  16. #16
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    I do jean on jean as well. I open the pant leg to do it, and I stitch that baby down good, then sew the leg back up.
    I never thought to do that....thanks!

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,275
    my son was always getting holes in his knees when he was little i used diffrent patches to cover them. my DH would make holes in the crotch and i whould darn them on the sewing machine they lasted the best

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    This won't help with your current jeans but, reminded me that when my DGS was little, Sears used to guarantee their jeans wouldn't get holes in the knees. If they did you could return them for a new pair. It had a certain time frame, which I don't remeber. Might be worth checking into , especially for those kids who are hard on their jeans.
    I was just telling my dh about this. Do you remember what it was called?
    I don't recall that it had a particular name. They just told us about it while checking out. You might be able to call the childrens' department and ask, although sometimes get better results in person. Depends on who answers the phone, if they feel like checking. I'd like to know what you find out. :)

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,246
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Since ya'll are such a wonderful source of information, does anybody know how to patch jeans? My DD is really rough on her pants. I bought iron-on patches from Walmart. They don't stay on. I haven't even washed them yet and they are already peeling off. How can I get them to stay on?
    Iron patches stay better if you wash the jeans first.
    I patch the underside before putting patch on outside.
    Use a scrap of fabric and iron onto under side of jeans using Wonder-under (or similar product). This reinforces with a soft touch on the skin.

  20. #20
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    This won't help with your current jeans but, reminded me that when my DGS was little, Sears used to guarantee their jeans wouldn't get holes in the knees. If they did you could return them for a new pair. It had a certain time frame, which I don't remeber. Might be worth checking into , especially for those kids who are hard on their jeans.
    I was just telling my dh about this. Do you remember what it was called?
    I don't recall that it had a particular name. They just told us about it while checking out. You might be able to call the childrens' department and ask, although sometimes get better results in person. Depends on who answers the phone, if they feel like checking. I'd like to know what you find out. :)
    I figured it out. It's called Kidvantage. It's a Sears program that allows you to replace with the same item and size if they ever wear out. It doesn't just apply to jeans, its all children's clothing.

  21. #21
    Super Member hperttula123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,439
    I just cut up jeans that the kids have outgrown and save them for patches. I cut the piece bigger then the hole/rip and sew back and forth all over it, with the patch underneath. I usually try to use a bright thread to make it stand out. I buy pants that are new like that, so why not fix them to make them look like that!!!

  22. #22
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,486
    When my guys were little Sears had the Toughskins jeans with the iron-on patch already in the knees, plus the fabric was a nylon (I think) and cotton blend that was extremely durable...usually lasted through at least 3 of the boys if not all 5...and it seemed like they lived on their knees. LOL!

  23. #23
    Super Member Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,702
    Cut up old jeans or take off the pocket to make the patch. Use a sewing machine with a free arm to sew the patches on. Just zig zag several times around the edges or roll the material under and sew a pretty seam along the edge of the patch through the jeans with the hole.

  24. #24
    Senior Member PamQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    I take a piece of jean fabric from my jean stash and put it on the underside of the jeans, underneath the hole. From the top, I do a straight stitch/reverse straight stitch (trying to go with the grain of the fabric) back and forth until the hole is covered. Usually, when I'm through, you can barely see that it's been patched!

  25. #25
    Senior Member KarenSimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    sunny and WARM Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    765
    My son is 38 but when he was little, I would iron on the patches before he even wore them. But I put them on the inside. And I used a dry iron. Don't use steam because they won't stay on. A really hot iron.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.